The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-07 18:22 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-07 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:53:26 +0100
> From: "Wells, Richard" <rwells at impaq.co.uk>
> To: "Lars Brinkhoff" <lars at nocrew.org>
>
> IMHO it's very good reading / learning.
>
> I couldn't buy the book when I last tried (about a year ago) - I think
> it was out of print.. I did manage to find it all on the web though.
>
> Richard Wells

It was last time I looked.  Today I seem to have misplaced my copy.
Just checked AddAll book search, the reprint of the Lions book has
become a rare collectable, and is selling for about $100.  Oh, well,
somebody bid a VT100 up to $355 yesterday.

    carl

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-15 11:11 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-04-15 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I have no doubt that the commentary was produced with the V6 nroff.
> > It has the look of machine-formatted text about it, although it was
> > clearly printed on a constant-width line printer of the time.
> >
> > Now, were anyone so truly perverse, they might take the latex and
> > convert it into nroff/troff. :-)
>
> Thus returning to the original form in which it was prepared. There's
> an appealing circularity and feeling of having come full circle to
> that...

Doing so would be a major Waste Of Time.  This fact, in combination with
the "appealing circularity" just mentioned makes it highly likely that
it *will* be done by a Graduate Student somewhere .... :-)

Arnold

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-14 15:46 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-04-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-04-07 10:53 Wells, Richard

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 23:17 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-06 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Subject: RE: [TUHS] Booting v6
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:04:10 -0700
> From: "Ian King" <iking at windows.microsoft.com>
> To: "Carl Lowenstein" <cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu>, <billc_2 at charter.net>,
>    <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
>
> BTW, the Lions book - which documents 6th Ed. very comprehensively - is
> available for legal purchase.  I have both the published version and
> (from a set of docs I bought on eBay) an old 'bootleg' photocopy.

Me too, as they say.  I did the bootleg photocopying myself.

> There was at least one card that would drive a vector display, like the
> old Tektronix storage tube devices, but most I/O was terminal based.  I
> have some old ADM3a terminals that folks often mistake for early iMacs -
> they ask me which processor they use. :-)

The first 11/20 I used had a Tektronix 4002 Graphics terminal
with it.  This was a storage tube, vector addressable.  But it also
had a complete ASCII terminal emulator built in, with diode matrix
character generator ROMs.  Also the best keyboard I ever used,
with magnetically-operated reed switches.  The Tek terminal used
a specially modified KL11 terminal interface, which did serial
communication to the CPU at something like 100k characters/sec.
This made the hard-copy TTY-based editor really easy to use, because
it could repaint the whole screen in a fraction of a second.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 22:37 Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2004-04-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billc_2 at charter.net>
> To: <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:30:01 -0400
> Subject: [TUHS] Booting v6
>
>     I was looking through the old archives at the old UNIX Dennis Ritchie
> submitted. I would like to know how to boot this. I can't seem to compile
> the PDP emulator(s) with djgpp or a non-linux system. I can with my linux.

See below for a session log showing booting 6th Ed Unix on a Linux system.

> Dennis said this version of unix was compiled with assembly, then into C if
> I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that by 6th Ed the system was mostly C, with only a
few assembly routines.

> Now the PDPs they were the machines with no monitors just
> printer tty type output correct?

High-resolution bit-mapped graphics at any reasonable price came along
a few years after 6th Ed.  Unix.  Character-cell CRT terminals that
could display 72x12 up to 80x24 characters on a screen were available
in 1975, but were pretty expensive.

Instructions for booting "uv6swre" are contained in the file "simh_swre.txt".
To make things easier for myself, I did the following:
$ cp unix0_v6_rk.dsk rk0.dsk
and so on for 1, 2, 3.
This gives me copies of the distribution disks that I can work with
without losing the originals.  Then I made a startup file "run.conf"
to contain the commands for the emulator.  Here is the result of a
very recent session:
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Script started on Tue 06 Apr 2004 03:09:12 PM
PDT helium3$ cat run.conf
set cpu u18
set cpu 256k
attach rk0 rk0.dsk
attach rk1 rk1.dsk
attach rk2 rk2.dsk
attach rk3 rk3.dsk
boot rk0

helium3$ pdp11 run.conf

PDP-11 simulator V3.1-0
Disabling XQ
@unix

login: root
# date
Sat Aug 20 12:19:47 EDT 1994
# ls -l
total 182
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin      1040 Jan  1  1970 bin
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin       352 Jan  1  1970 dev
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin       304 Aug 20 12:19 etc
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin       336 Jan  1  1970 lib
drwxr-xr-x 17 bin       272 Jan  1  1970 mnt
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin        32 Jan  1  1970 mnt2
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root    28472 Aug 20 12:01 rkunix
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     28636 Aug 20 11:38 rkunix.40
drwxrwxrwx  2 bin       144 Aug 20 12:14 tmp
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bin     28472 Aug 20 12:01 unix
drwxr-xr-x 13 bin       224 Aug 20 12:22 usr
drwxr-xr-x  2 bin        32 Jan  1  1970 usr2
# stty
speed 110 baud
erase = '#'; kill = '@'
even odd -nl echo -tabs cr1
# sync;sync
#
Simulation stopped, PC: 034316 (ADD #26,R2)
sim> bye
Goodbye
helium3$ exit

Script done on Tue 06 Apr 2004 03:10:09 PM PDT
Notes:  the simh command for emulating a Unibus PDP11 with 18-bit
addressing is now "set cpu u18".

In the line "@unix" the "@" is the prompt from the boot program, "unix"
is your response to it.  Root has no password.

The disks are mounted	rk1 on /usr
			rk2 on /usr/source
			rk3 on /mnt

The default character erase and line kill characters shown by stty
are not what anyone is used to these days.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [TUHS] Booting v6
@ 2004-04-06 10:30 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2004-04-06 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I was looking through the old archives at the old UNIX Dennis Ritchie
submitted. I would like to know how to boot this. I can't seem to compile
the PDP emulator(s) with djgpp or a non-linux system. I can with my linux.
Dennis said this version of unix was compiled with assembly, then into C if
I'm not mistaken. Now the PDPs they were the machines with no monitors just
printer tty type output correct?

    Bill