On Feb 19, 2022, at 8:11 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > >  > On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 11:04 AM Steve Nickolas wrote: >> Apparently Bourne was heavily into ALGOL, > That's sort of an understatement. I believe that when he was at Cambridge, he was one of the people that helped to take the Algol-X proposal and turned it into the Algol-68 definition. I also believe he worked on their famous implementation of same. Some of you may be interested in this “A history of Algol68” paper: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/234286.1057810 The author, Charles H Lindsey, still occasionally posts on comp.lang.misc about Algol68. Among other things Bourne was a coauthor of Algol68C, a portable implementation of Algol68.