I agree, unless I use setjmp/longjmp for that. Besides error recovery, there are occasionally other times when we want to locally "return" to a common state and start "from the top" again. I find such uses very clear in their intent, and if commented well, not hard to follow at all - as long as there is not more than one "top" :) On 03/09/2023 04:21 PM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Thu, Mar 9, 2023, 4:18 PM segaloco via TUHS > wrote: > > GOTO is one of those paradoxical things where I would only trust > the most sophisticated engineer to know when it's acceptable to > use a GOTO but on the flip side would be suspicious of anyone > claiming to be an engineer that uses any amount of GOTOs... > > Were any of the various GOTOs in languages ever meant to be any > more than providing the same level of control that branch > statements in assembly do? Was there ever some vision anyone's > aware of concerning a sophisticated, dependable use of GOTOs? > Since my first days poking around learning C GOTO has been > mentally filed away as an assembly vestige for folks in > transition, not a dependable construct in its own right. Any > alternative camps out there? > > > > In C I use it all the time to do goto err for common error recovery > because C doesn't have anything better. > > Warner > > - Matt G. > > ------- Original Message ------- > On Thursday, March 9th, 2023 at 3:01 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso > > wrote: > > > > I wonder if Pink Floyd's Summer68 maybe refers to this. > > Other than that i am addicted and could not live without it. > > The other (terrible) song is from 1984 (east southern US). > > > > --steffen > > | > > |Der Kragenbaer, The moon bear, > > |der holt sich munter he cheerfully and one by one > > |einen nach dem anderen runter wa.ks himself off > > |(By Robert Gernhardt) >