The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: david@kdbarto.org (David Barto)
Subject: [TUHS] Need a new PDP-11 or VAX?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:19:55 -0700	[thread overview]

Larry McVoy said:
On Apr 28, 2013, at 7:00 PM, tuhs-request at minnie.tuhs.org wrote:

> We build source management systems and we still drop into assembler for
> some stuff.  For example, we want to give ourselves a stack traceback
> when something dies.  Another example is inner loops that are performance
> critical, we stare at the assembler.

I don't mind staring at the assembly, I just don't want to hand crank it any longer. :-/

I'll spend quite some time fussing with the compiler and optimization flags to get loops to run at maximum speed before I'll take the assembly in hand to 'make it right.'

For stack traces, I've found the GNU compiler support for stack tracing quite handy and for my company it works quite well.

On the discussion of x86 assembly, I have to agree that it is horrific. I'll take ARM (and I have done context switchers and trap handers in ARM) any time.

	David Barto

/my name in your iPhone, it is more likely than you think.