The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: ron@ronnatalie.com (Ronald Natalie)
Subject: [TUHS] 11/40E and 11/60 (was: speaking of early C compilers)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 13:57:17 -0400	[thread overview]

> I picked up four 11/60 machines from a place in the late 80s. I still have a complete set of CPU cards, but threw the last machine away about 10 years ago.

Chuckle.   My wife would kill me.   I finally got rid of the ASR-37 (you know a real UNIX teletype complete with a big NEWLINE key and able to interpret those ESC-8 and ESC-9 things that nroff outputs by default) decades ago (RS tells me he left it blocking someone's car in at Sprint or something, I disavow all knowledge of it).

While at BRL I was the king of the surplus PDP-11.    Any time a PDP-11 came up surplus I recycled it into internet routers.   Sometimes I took the older machines for either their RK05 or RL02 drives, or just the racks.    I got a call up from surplus people asking me about this $100,000 worth of computer equipment I had turned in and needed to come over and identify.

What $100,000 worth of computer equipment?

It says here "One PDP-11/40 and accessories."

That thing is 16 years old.   That's the price the government paid for it then.   Do you know how much a 16 year old computer is worth?
(especially one that had been stripped of just about everything but the CPU box itself).