The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: tfb@tfeb.org
To: Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>
Cc: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] PDP-11 legacy, C, and modern architectures
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 16:32:59 +0100	[thread overview]

On 28 Jun 2018, at 18:09, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how people keep missing the original point.  Which was:
> the market won't choose a bunch of wimpy cpus when it can get faster
> ones.  It wasn't about the physics (which I'm not arguing with), it
> was about a choice between lots of wimpy cpus and a smaller number of
> fast cpus.  The market wants the latter, as Ted said, Sun bet heavily
> on the former and is no more.

[I said I wouldn't reply more: I'm weak.]

I think we have been talking at cross-purposes, which is probably my fault.  I think you've been using 'wimpy' to mean 'intentionally slower than they could be' while I have been using it to mean 'of very tiny computational power compared to the power of the whole system'.  Your usage is probably more correct in terms of the way the term has been used historically.

But I think my usage tells you something important: that the performance of individual cores will, inevitably, become increasingly tiny compared to the performance of the system they are in, and will almost certainly become asymptotically constant (ie however much money you spend on an individual core it will not be very much faster than the one you can buy off-the-shelf). So, if you want to keep seeing performance improvements (especially if you want to keep seeing exponential improvements for any significant time), then you have no choice but to start thinking about parallelism.

The place I work now is an example of this.  Our machines have the fastest cores we could get.  But we need nearly half a million of them to do the work we want to do (this is across three systems).

I certainly don't want to argue that choosing intentionally slower cores than you can get is a good idea in general (although there are cases where it may be, including, perhaps, some HPC workloads).

---

However let me add something about the Sun T-series machines, which were 'wimpy cores' in the 'intentionally slower' sense.  When these started appearing I worked in a canonical Sun customer at the time: a big retail bank.  And the reason we did not buy lots of them was nothing to do with how fast they were (which was more than fast enough), it was because Sun's software was inadequate.

To see why, consider what retail banks IT looked like in the late 2000s.  We had a great mass of applications, the majority of which ran on individual Solaris instances (at least two, live and DR, per application).  A very high proportion (not all) of these applications had utterly negligible computational requirements.  But they had very strong requirements on availability, or at least the parts of the business which owned them said they did and we could not argue with that, especially given that this was 2008 and we knew that if we had a visible outage there was a fair chance that it would be misread as the bank failing, resulting in  a cascade failure of the banking system and the inevitable zombie apocalypse.  No one wanted that.

Some consolidation had already been done: we had a bunch of 25ks, many of which were split into lot of domains.  The smallest domain on a 25k was a single CPU board which was 4 sockets and therefore 8 or 16 (I forget how many cores there were per socket) cores.  I think you could not partition a 25k like that completely because you ran out of IO assemblies, so some domains had to be bigger.

This smallest domain was huge overkill for many of these applications, and 25ks were terribly expensive as well.

So, along came the first T-series boxes and they were just obviously ideal: we could consolidate lots and lots of these things onto a single T-series box, with a DR partner, and it would cost some tiny fraction of what a 25k cost, and use almost no power (DC power was and is a real problem).

But we didn't do that: we did some experiments, and some things moved I think, but on the whole we didn't move.  The reason we didn't move was nothing, at all, to do with performance, it was, as I said, software, and in particular virtualisation. Sun had two approaches to this, neither of which solved the problems that everyone had.

At the firmware level there were LDOMs (which I think did not work very well early on or may not have existed) which let you cut up a machine into lots of smaller ones with a hypervisor in the usual way.  But all of these smaller machines shared the same hardware of course.  So if you had a serious problem on the machine, then all of your LDOMs went away, and all of the services on that machine had an outage, at once.  This was not the case on a 25k: if a CPU or an IO board died it would affect the domain it was part of, but everything else would carry on.

At the OS level there were zones (containers).  Zones had the advantage that they could look like Solaris 8 (the machine itself, and therefore the LDOMs it got split into, could only run Solaris 10), which all the old applications were running, and they could be very fine-grained.  But they weren't really very isolated from each other (especially in hindsight), they didn't look *enough* like Solaris 8 for people to be willing to certify the applications on them, and they still had the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket problem if the hardware died.

The thing that really killed it was the eggs-in-one-basket problem.  We had previous experience with consolidating a lot of applications onto one OS & hardware instance, and no-one wanted to go anywhere near that.  If you needed to get an outage (say to install a critical security patch, or because of failing hardware) you had to negotiate this with *all* the application teams, all of whom had different requirements and all of whom regarded their application as the most important thing the bank ran (some of them might be right).  It could very easily take more than a year to get an outage on the big shared-services machines, and when the outage happened you would have at least 50 people involved to stop and restat everything.  It was just a scarring nightmare.

So, to move to the T-series machines what we would have needed was a way of partitioning the machine in such a way that the partitions ran Solaris 8 natively, and in such a way that the partitions could be moved, live, to other systems to deal with the eggs-in-one-basket problem.  Sun didn't have that, anywhere near (they knew this I think, and they got closer later on, but it was too late).

So, the machines failed for us.  But this failure was nothing, at all, to do with performance, let alone performance per core, which was generally more than adequate.  Lots of wimpy, low power, CPUs was what we needed, in fact: we just needed the right software on top of them, which was not there.

(As an addentum: what eventually happened / is happening I think is that applications are getting recertified on Linux/x86 sitting on top of ESX, *which can move VMs live between hosts*, thus solving the problem.)