The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Pdp11 implementations on fpga in 2018
@ 2018-12-23 18:17 Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2018-12-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi folks,

This is a little sideways from on topic, but no too far. Is there a good open source implementation of a pdp11 for fpga in verilog/vhdl that works well for Unix v6+? Google turns up a number, but I’m hoping some of y’all have actual experience with one that you could recommend over others. I’m financially challenged so it’s a requirement that it run on cheap fpga’s not some Tesla prototype :)

Regards,

Will

Sent from my iPhone

* Re: [TUHS] Pdp11 implementations on fpga in 2018
@ 2018-12-26 13:43 ` emanuel stiebler
From: emanuel stiebler @ 2018-12-26 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn, tuhs

On 2018-12-23 13:17, Will Senn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is a little sideways from on topic, but no too far. Is there a good open source implementation of a pdp11 for fpga in verilog/vhdl that works well for Unix v6+? Google turns up a number, but I’m hoping some of y’all have actual experience with one that you could recommend over others. I’m financially challenged so it’s a requirement that it run on cheap fpga’s not some Tesla prototype :)

I know of two:

https://opencores.org/projects/w11

and

http://pdp2011.sytse.net/wordpress/pdp-11/

Both projects are so old, they should run on FPGA boards you probably
could get for free ...

Have fun!

* Re: [TUHS] Pdp11 implementations on fpga in 2018
@ 2018-12-26 16:04   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2018-12-26 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emanuel stiebler; +Cc: tuhs

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 26, 2018, at 7:43 AM, emanuel stiebler <emu@e-bbes.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-12-23 13:17, Will Senn wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> This is a little sideways from on topic, but no too far. Is there a good open source implementation of a pdp11 for fpga in verilog/vhdl that works well for Unix v6+? Google turns up a number, but I’m hoping some of y’all have actual experience with one that you could recommend over others. I’m financially challenged so it’s a requirement that it run on cheap fpga’s not some Tesla prototype :)
>
> I know of two:
>
> https://opencores.org/projects/w11
>
> and
>
> http://pdp2011.sytse.net/wordpress/pdp-11/
>

> Both projects are so old, they should run on FPGA boards you probably
> could get for free ...
>
> Have fun!

I need to find those free boards :). Those are the best sites, I’ve seen, too. I’m not entirely sure why I’m wanting to do the fpga thing when simh seems to work just fine for everything I’ve ever wanted to use it for, but having a switch controlled machine that can be put on a shelf and taken off and plugged in and run is appealing. Not quite as appealing as having a PiDP-11, but for those of us on a budget, it seems right somehow!

Will