se? this may be a consequence for using such a bland name for a screen editor, but i wrote a screen editor called ’se’ in 1981-83, just after we had moved from piscataway to murray hill. it was part of an effort to do office automation style products for Unix, and came in around the time Unix transitioned from System III through System 4 through the early days of System V. my se was not very good, but i did have denis ritchie as an early tester. > On Mar 29, 2022, at 6:45 AM, Clem Cole wrote: > > Arnold, I agree, I do remember seeing it on what I think was the PWB 4.0 tape. IMHO: it was before cshell, termcap, vi et al was released inside of the rest of the Bell System and there seemed to be sometimes "SW from BSD be bad/crude" 'tude. IIRC ber and mmp must have had it running on the Marx's brothers systems in Whippany. But he had vi, so I personally never used it. > > @Mary Ann - this would have been around the time you were in Columbus and starting the terminfo work. Do you have any memories? > > On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 5:29 AM > wrote: > Did anyone within the Bell System ever use a screen editor called 'se'? > (NOT related to the Georgia Tech se editor [se-editor.org ]). > > I used this on a USG UNIX 4.0 system ~ 1982 when I did some contract > programming at Southern Bell. I think it was originally written for > the Vax but it had been squeezed to run on a PDP-11/70 also. > > I've mentioned this in the past, but it seems to been covered over > by the sands of time, and that nobody else ever used it. > > Arnold