The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] HP 712& v6 or v7
@ 2001-11-12 19:32 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2001-11-12 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

But there's nothing like the rush of warmed, slighly phenolic air from
the cooling fans of an old minicomputer - I've noticed the furnace
doesn't kick on when the 11/34 is running. (Of course, when I flip on
the RM02s, the breaker trips....)

-- Ian

firebug at apk.net
http://junior.apk.net/~firebug
---------------------------
Worriers may get all the glory, but it's engineers that build societies.
         -- B`Elanna Torres, "Star Trek: Voyager"

* [TUHS] HP 712& v6 or v7
@ 2001-11-12 20:15       ` Mike Allison
From: Mike Allison @ 2001-11-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah, I was originally intending to go into the M68k systems and wandered
into the 700 series by mistake.

I decided that emulation was probably the way to go.  NetBSD and OpenBSD on
the 700 , as well as PARISC Linux seems to be sailing into the duldrums.
Where I would expect it to be strong based on the lack of OS choices.  But
I'm not an architecture guy, so I imagine there is a lot of proprietary
stuff in the box that makes portin a challenge.

Thanks,

Mike
From: Derrik Walker v2.0 @ 2001-11-12 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

firebug at apk.net
http://junior.apk.net/~firebug

@ 2001-11-12 18:31 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2001-11-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Derrik, you're missing the point: what's the fun of doing it the easy
way?  :-)  Seriously, though, I think you'd have a couple of serious
problems: the assembly language components (which are not inconsiderable
in V6) would need to be rewritten, and then there's also the question of
whether you could find a sufficiently "undisciplined" C compiler to
handle pre-ANSI C, to build the rest of the system.

-- Ian, running UNIX 6th Ed. on a PDP-11/34a

firebug at apk.net
http://junior.apk.net/~firebug

* [TUHS] HP 712& v6 or v7
@ 2001-11-12 16:28     ` Derrik Walker v2.0
From: Derrik Walker v2.0 @ 2001-11-12 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

firebug at apk.net
http://junior.apk.net/~firebug
They seem to have learned the habit of cowering before authority even
when not actually threatened.  How very nice for authority.  I decided
not
to learn this particular lesson.
         -- Richard Stallman

* [TUHS] HP 712& v6 or v7
@ 2001-11-07  0:34   ` Paul Hart
From: Paul Hart @ 2001-11-07  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Mike Allison wrote:

> Anyone tried/interested or successful in getting a copy of v6 or v7 up
> on a HP 9000 712?

Are you sure it was ever ported to PA-RISC?  As far as I am aware, PA-RISC
(and the HP 9000 712) weren't developed until long after the days of V6
and V7 UNIX.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart
hart at orem.verio.net

Jul ner lbh ernqvat guvf?

* [TUHS] HP 712& v6 or v7
@ 2001-11-04 20:14 ` Mike Allison
From: Mike Allison @ 2001-11-04 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

TWiC:

Anyone tried/interested or successful in getting a copy of v6 or v7 up on a
HP 9000 712?

If you have any insight, please email me off line at:
mike1allison @ earthlink.net
or
mike @ irtg5.net

Thanks,