The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Building a tape IMAGE of Fred's Ultrix-11 3.1
@ 2006-08-10 21:49 Madcrow Maxwell
From: Madcrow Maxwell @ 2006-08-10 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the tape building kit of Fred's enhanced Ultrix 3.1 and
set about trying to build an image file suitable for use with SIMH. As
simply modifying the included script to write to a normal file instead
of a (non-existant) tape device failed, I tried doing things by hand,
running maketape and then "cat"ing the file it created along with all
the other  files "dd"ed by the script into a single file. While this
produced a file that looked about the right size, it didn't work with
SIMH as mounting it to the emulated TK50 device and booting produced:

HALT instruction, PC: 016300 (CLR R3)

Any help on how to get a working image available so that my nerdy
history project can proceed?

Mike "Madcrow" K.