The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: Curious Question from the Ether about use of Upper and Lower case at DEC
       [not found] <012a01d5808f$0e56dcf0$2b0496d0$@net>
@ 2019-10-12  0:04 ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2019-10-12  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

FYI.  I sent this to one of the lead DOC people from the old days to see if she knew.  Here is her answer.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Janet Egan"
> Date: October 11, 2019 at 7:53:16 PM EDT
> To: "'Clem Cole'"
> Subject: RE: Curious Question from the Ether about use of Upper and Lower case at DEC
>
> Hi Clem,
>
> Hmm, I don’t remember whether the style guide addressed that. In the docs for  RSX-11M and such I always wrote it “PDP-11”, that is upper case with the dash.  I do remember the logo on the machine as always lower case with no dash. The PDP-8 had the same style logo. And you’re right about seeing the lower case on the cover of the handbooks.  I have never seen the lower case with the dash or the upper case without it. I don’t think I still have my copy of the style guide. Maybe I’ll take a look around my archives for it.
>
> What a fun question to be thinking about .
> Janet

* Re: [TUHS] Fwd: Curious Question from the Ether about use of Upper and Lower case at DEC
@ 2019-10-12  0:23   ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2019-10-12  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

While BAH was more involved in PDP-10 stuff, I wonder what her take is
on this.

@ 2019-10-12  4:24     ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2019-10-12  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat; +Cc: tuhs

Arthur Krewat wrote:
> While BAH was more involved in PDP-10 stuff, I wonder what her take is
> on this.

I don't think there ever was a lower case "pdp10" on the machines.
From what I see, it was "PDP-10", "decsystem10", "DECSYSTEM 20",
or "DECSYSTEM 2020".

* Re: [TUHS] Fwd: Curious Question from the Ether about use of Upper and Lower case at DEC
@ 2019-10-12  5:35       ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2019-10-12  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/10/19, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> I don't think there ever was a lower case "pdp10" on the machines.
> From what I see, it was "PDP-10", "decsystem10", "DECSYSTEM 20",
> or "DECSYSTEM 2020".

Nope, the KI10 panel says "pdp10" in the lower left next to the digital logo.

aap

* Re: [TUHS] God vs god (was Upper/Lower at DEC)
@ 2019-10-13 22:17       ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2019-10-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff, Arthur Krewat; +Cc: tuhs

There is a story (or perhaps an urban legend) that mainframe computers
used all upper case, in spite of research showing lower case was
easier to read, because some executive said "But with all lower case,
we can't spell God's name right".  Anybody able to put some reality
behind that?

Steve

 > While BAH was more involved in PDP-10 stuff, I wonder what her take
is
 > on this.

 I don't think there ever was a lower case "pdp10" on the machines.
 From what I see, it was "PDP-10", "decsystem10", "DECSYSTEM 20",
 or "DECSYSTEM 2020".

* Re: [TUHS] God vs god (was Upper/Lower at DEC)
@ 2019-10-14  9:37         ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2019-10-14  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Johnson, Lars Brinkhoff, Arthur Krewat; +Cc: tuhs

On 2019-10-13 11:17 p.m., Steve Johnson wrote:
> There is a story (or perhaps an urban legend) that mainframe computers
> used all upper case, in spite of research showing lower case was easier
> to read, because some executive said "But with all lower case, we can't
> spell God's name right".  Anybody able to put some reality behind that?

Did nobody explain to the executive that, like printed typography for
FIVE HUNDRED years prior, that a character set with lower case would
include BOTH CASES? (Typographic research doesn't claim that lower case
_only_ is easier to read, and there are reasons to believe it is not.)