The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24  4:38 Will Senn
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-24  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

All,

Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available
online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest
system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?

Happy holidays, folks.

Will

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24  7:09 ` Warner Losh
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-12-24  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 9:39 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available
> online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest
> system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?

You can find pointers to System Vr4.2 on i386 here
https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ancient/ as well as System III, but
nothing in between.

http://squoze.net/UNIX/sysV_pdp11/Installation has system Vr1 on a pdp-11
installation instructions. This is, as far as I know, the only version of
System V that ran on the pdp-11. The porting target was changed to the VAX
in system Vr2 (though there were VAX versions of both System Vr1 and System
III, the latter on squoze.net).

https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2 has the sources
to the different System V releases and claims to have a cpio of the System
Vr2 sources that could create a bootable system.

On vetusware.com, you can search for SYSVr2 and find 2 entries. I've not
looked at them. One claims to be the source, and the other claims to be a
dump of /usr with sources and binaries (but no "/" nor bootable tapes it
would appear). The entries for these indicate there's animport of BSD code,
but no TCP/IP.

Finally, there's this page on installing System Vr3 on a 3b2 from scratch.
https://loomcom.com/3b2/installing_unix.html looks good to my eye. It's an
installation from floppies.

But no bootable tapes that my googling could find.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 11:20 ` Angelo Papenhoff
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2021-12-24 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

On 23/12/21, Will Senn wrote:
> All,
>
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available
> online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest
> system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?

Many years ago I got an image from betaarchive.com I believe. I no
longer can find the thread about and the link is probably dead anyway,
but I found the original file and put it here:

http://squoze.net/_misc/Unix%20SYSVr2%20for%20the%20VAX%2011-780.7z

SysVR1 for VAX is still something i'd like to see some day...

> Happy holidays, folks.

And to you!

aap

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 13:56 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-12-24 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:39 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available
> online?

I'm interested in learning what it is specifically about the SVR2 system
that you are curious?  As Warner pointed out, the reference system ISA for
the folks in Summit, NJ started changing from the PDP-11 to VAX at that
point.  By SVR3 it became a WE32000 and by SVR4.2 it was the Intel 386.

Besides the ISA changes for the core kernel and the collection of supported
user space programs, SYS V took a number twists and turns [for different
reasons, some in hindsight, proved questionable] - but nonetheless.

Other than the native support for the Vax, IIRC there really was not a lot
special in SVR2 - while SVR1 and SVR3 [and later SVR4.2] were actually
substantially different from their predecessors.

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 16:20   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-24 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 12/24/21 1:09 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 9:39 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems
>     available online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so,
>     what's the closest system that is available to get a feel for that
>     variety of OS?
>

> You can find pointers to System Vr4.2 on i386 here
> https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ancient/ as well as System
> III, but nothing in between.
>
> http://squoze.net/UNIX/sysV_pdp11/Installation has system Vr1 on a
> pdp-11 installation instructions. This is, as far as I know, the only
> version of System V that ran on the pdp-11. The porting target was
> changed to the VAX in system Vr2 (though there were VAX versions of
> both System Vr1 and System III, the latter on squoze.net
> <http://squoze.net>).
>
> https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2 has the
> sources to the different System V releases and claims to have a cpio
> of the System Vr2 sources that could create a bootable system.
>
> On vetusware.com <http://vetusware.com>, you can search for SYSVr2 and
> find 2 entries. I've not looked at them. One claims to be the source,
> and the other claims to be a dump of /usr with sources and binaries
> (but no "/" nor bootable tapes it would appear). The entries for these
> indicate there's animport of BSD code, but no TCP/IP.
>
> Finally, there's this page on installing System Vr3 on a 3b2 from
> scratch. https://loomcom.com/3b2/installing_unix.html looks good to my
> eye. It's an installation from floppies.
>
> But no bootable tapes that my googling could find.
>
> Warner

Thanks Warner. I remembered 3b2 coming available, but had lost track of
where. Thanks for the summary and links.

@ 2021-12-24 16:27   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-24 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 12/24/21 7:56 AM, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:39 PM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems
>     available online?
>
> I'm interested in learning what it is specifically about the SVR2
> system that you are curious?  As Warner pointed out, the reference
> system ISA for the folks in Summit, NJ started changing from the
> PDP-11 to VAX at that point.  By SVR3 it became a WE32000 and by
> SVR4.2 it was the Intel 386.

Clem,

Ha! I'm curious by nature. I recently was sent a book that references
SVR2 and that is enough impetus for me to want to try it out 'for real'
:). Shiny object, for sure.

> Besides the ISA changes for the core kernel and the collection of
> supported user space programs, SYS V took a number twists and turns
> [for different reasons, some in hindsight, proved questionable] - but
> nonetheless.
>
> Other than the native support for the Vax, IIRC there really was not a
> lot special in SVR2 - while SVR1 and SVR3 [and later SVR4.2] were
> actually substantially different from their predecessors.

Which is why I went looking for SVR2 - substantive (although to me
completely opaque) differences from SVR1 and SVR3. The book mentions
SVR2, not SVR1 or SVR3, though, I'm sure it applies equally well to
those as well, I'm just a sucker for the closest experience I can get
without driving myself off the rails trying to get things working. Turns
out it isn't horrible, this time. Angelo's Vax 780 version works about
like v6/v7 in SIMH - stupid # and @ stuff, but I'm guessing I can change
it without mucking about in the source this time. - stty'll prolly do it.

Later,

Will

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-24 16:57 ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2021-12-24 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, at 8:38 PM, Will Senn wrote:
> All,
>
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?
>
> Happy holidays, folks.
>
> Will

I have preserved the installation diskettes for AT&T System V Release 2.0.5 for 3B2 here:

https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/System_V_Release_2.0.5/

It should work on the SIMH 3B2/400 emulator, but it occurs to me I've never actually tried a full installation from these before (I've always used SVR 3)

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito
  Poulsbo, WA

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-24 18:02 ` Arno Griffioen via TUHS
From: Arno Griffioen via TUHS @ 2021-12-24 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:38:38PM -0600, Will Senn wrote:
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available online?

> Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest system that is
> available to get a feel for that variety of OS?

A/UX for one.. It's available in images and it may be bootable on an
m68k Mac emulator.

Finding a more 'vanilla' AT&T SVR2 image may indeed be tricky though..

I have run into quite a lot of SVR2 UNIX installs in the past (on
all sorts of CPU's), but in many cases these were fairly dedicated or almost
'embedded' systems and not so much generic-use UNIX boxes apart from a few
like A/UX.

I suspect the relatively small footprint of SVR2 kept it alive for quite
some time, although not in the mainstream. Kept bumping into these well into
the SVR4 days.

Many such dedicated or small footprint SVR2 installs are totally random as
to how much and which userland there is though...

Some were stripped to the bone with very simple userland commands and
others would have backported SVR3 or even SVR4 userland tools.

Of course this was also in the days when IP was just 'one of the protocols'
so many of these had all sorts of weird and wonderful network stacks
hacked onto them.

							Bye, Arno.

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 18:32     ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2021-12-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/24/21 9:27 AM, Will Senn wrote:
> Ha! I'm curious by nature. I recently was sent a book that references
> SVR2 and that is enough impetus for me to want to try it out 'for real'
> :). Shiny object, for sure.

/Chuckle/

I'm following suit for 4.4BSD as I've got The Design and Implementation
of the 4.4BSD Operating System book (ISBN: 0-201-54979-4) on my desk.

Sadly it seems as if 4.4BSD-Encumbered would be required to run it on a
VAX emulator and 4.4BSD-Lite is apparently non-starter.

I'm also wondering if 386BSD on a PC would be close enough.  Though I
think that it, and it's ilk, is based on 4.3BSD Net/2.  I don't know
what the effective differences will be.  :-/

In some ways I sort of which I had picked up the 4.3BSD counterpart to
the book.

> Which is why I went looking for SVR2

s/SVR2/4.4BSD/

> I'm just a sucker for the closest experience I can get without driving
> myself off the rails trying to get things working.

#truth

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 18:45   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-24 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth Morabito, tuhs

On 12/24/21 10:57 AM, Seth Morabito wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, at 8:38 PM, Will Senn wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?
>>
>> Happy holidays, folks.
>>
>> Will
> I have preserved the installation diskettes for AT&T System V Release 2.0.5 for 3B2 here:
>
> https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/System_V_Release_2.0.5/
>
> It should work on the SIMH 3B2/400 emulator, but it occurs to me I've never actually tried a full installation from these before (I've always used SVR 3)
>
> -Seth
> --
>    Seth Morabito
>    Poulsbo, WA
>    web@loomcom.com

Wow, Seth. Your site is very well organized! I'm now busy with my new Christmas holidays project of setting up UNIX System V Release 2.0.5 on the SIMH 3B2/400.

Thanks for the steer in that direction. I have the working VAX version to compare with and fall back on if I can't get it working. I'll follow your howto:

https://loomcom.com/3b2/installing_unix.html

and note any differences along the way.

Thanks and later,

Will

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 19:26       ` Henry Bent
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Henry Bent @ 2021-12-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Taylor; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 at 13:33, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
wrote:

> I'm following suit for 4.4BSD as I've got The Design and Implementation
> of the 4.4BSD Operating System book (ISBN: 0-201-54979-4) on my desk.
>
> Sadly it seems as if 4.4BSD-Encumbered would be required to run it on a
> VAX emulator and 4.4BSD-Lite is apparently non-starter.

4.4's /usr/src/sys/vax/README:
The VAX architecture does not compile in 4.4BSD, as it has
not been converted to the new VM.  It is here for porting
information purposes only.

The best you can do as-is on a VAX is 4.3-Reno.

-Henry

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 19:31         ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2021-12-24 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: TUHS main list, Grant Taylor

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021, 12:26 PM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 at 13:33, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
> wrote:
>

>> I'm following suit for 4.4BSD as I've got The Design and Implementation
>> of the 4.4BSD Operating System book (ISBN: 0-201-54979-4) on my desk.
>>
>> Sadly it seems as if 4.4BSD-Encumbered would be required to run it on a
>> VAX emulator and 4.4BSD-Lite is apparently non-starter.
>>

> 4.4's /usr/src/sys/vax/README:
> The VAX architecture does not compile in 4.4BSD, as it has
> not been converted to the new VM.  It is here for porting
> information purposes only.
>
> The best you can do as-is on a VAX is 4.3-Reno.

Vax was running early on with NetBSD. That will be super close to D&I...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 19:35         ` Erik E. Fair
From: Erik E. Fair @ 2021-12-24 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: TUHS main list, Grant Taylor

Actually, you can do better than 4.3 BSD on a VAX - NetBSD 9.2 runs on VAXen.

See http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/vax/

	Erik

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 21:23         ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2021-12-24 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/24/21 12:26 PM, Henry Bent wrote:
> 4.4's /usr/src/sys/vax/README:
> The VAX architecture does not compile in 4.4BSD, as it has
> not been converted to the new VM.  It is here for porting
> information purposes only.

Okay.  :-/

> The best you can do as-is on a VAX is 4.3-Reno.

At the risk of showing my BSD ignorance, what architectures does 4.4BSD
run on?  I had assumed it was VAX, but it seems that assumption was wrong.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-24 21:27           ` Grant Taylor via TUHS
From: Grant Taylor via TUHS @ 2021-12-24 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 12/24/21 12:31 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> Vax was running early on with NetBSD. That will be super close to D&I...

Noted about NetBSD.  Thank you Warner.

Will there be any substantive differences between NetBSD on VAX and
NetBSD on 386 PC?  The latter can easily be run in mostly normal
virtualization.  Or so I assume.  The former can be run on emulated
hardware.

Much like Will, I'm trying to get "...the closest experience I can get
without driving myself off the rails trying to get things working."

I suppose I could, perhaps should, simply start reading the book to see
if I actually feel the need to look at a running system.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [TUHS] 4.4BSD run on (Re: Are there images of any SVR2's available online?)
@ 2021-12-26 12:37           ` MOCHIDA Shuji
From: MOCHIDA Shuji @ 2021-12-26 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gtaylor, tuhs

From: Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
> what architectures does 4.4BSD run on?

  http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/smm/01.setup/paper-2.html

Primary target arch was HP9000/300. It seems that there were
Sun SPARC (sun4c only), and R2000,R3000 based DECstation binaries.

If you want to run on emulator, you might use DECstation (pmax) binary
that I compiled below with GXemul.

  http://www.netside.co.jp/~mochid/comp/bsd44-build/

-mochid

* Re: [TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?
@ 2021-12-26 15:11   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-26 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth Morabito, tuhs

On 12/24/21 10:57 AM, Seth Morabito wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, at 8:38 PM, Will Senn wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?
>>
>> Happy holidays, folks.
>>
>> Will
> I have preserved the installation diskettes for AT&T System V Release 2.0.5 for 3B2 here:
>
> https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/System_V_Release_2.0.5/
>
> It should work on the SIMH 3B2/400 emulator, but it occurs to me I've never actually tried a full installation from these before (I've always used SVR 3)
>
> -Seth

Just to close the loop on this... the 3b2 Core System V Release 2.0.5
floppies, C-Kermit, and the Editor Utilities borrowed from the Core
System V Release 3.2 files (gotta have vi) work great under SIMH's
3b2/400. The same goes for Basic, C, Fortran, Pascal, Document
Workbench, and Writers Workbench... (well at least they install, I
haven't tested them all yet).

@ 2021-12-26 15:17     ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2021-12-26 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: will.senn, web, tuhs

Another S5R2 system is available here:
https://github.com/philpem/freebee

This is an emulator for the AT&T 3B1, a 68010 system with a
mostly S5R2 user land and a primitive windowing system. The github
page has links to pre-built disk images as well as instructions
with links on installing from floppy images.

Arnold