The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Results of PDP UNIX Source Questionnaire
@ 1996-11-08  0:38 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 1996-11-08  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,
	The results of my PDP-11 UNIX source license quiz so far are
available on the PUPS web page, http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/
If you haven't filled out the questionnnaire, please do so, as it
gives me more ammunition to convince SCO to make licenses available.
Get your friends, family & household pets to fill it out too :-)

Most of the results were as I expected, although less people were
happy with the single-user idea that I thought would be.

Cheers,
	Warren

From: wkt@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: Simulator 2.2d release with demonstration software (fwd)
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:27:36 +1100 (EST)

[You must read this! Warren]
From: m@mbsks.franken.de (Matthias Bruestle)
Subject: Unix onto my new PDP-11
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (oldunix)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:17:59 +0100 (MET)

Mahlzeit

I have here a PDP-11 which was used in a X-ray-"defractometer".
There was no Boot-disks or documentation.

Hardware:
	3HE-19"-case (with a label VAXstation 3200) with an on/off-switch
		and 6 buttons.
	5,25"-FDD
	3,5"-HDD (probably ST-506-type)
		Fujitsu   Model M2227D2
		Type B03B-4815-B104A#B
	On the side to the disk/floppy there are unused connectors:
		Fixed Disk 0 (2 con.)
		Fixed Disk 1 (2 con.)
		Removable Disk 1&2 (1 con.)
	It has 3 modules:
		quad-size from Mentec with 4 connectors (serial ports)
		quad-size from MDB with 4 unused connectors
		dual-size from Dilog (connected to disk and floppy)

Software:
	It is installed RT-11FB V5.04D.
	The output from resorc/a is:

RT-11FB (S) V05.04 D
Booted from DU0:RT11FB

USR   is set SWAP
EXIT  is set SWAP
KMON  is set NOIND
TT    is set QUIET
ERROR is set ERROR
SL    is set OFF
EDIT  is set EDIT
KMON nesting depth is 3

PDP 11/73A Processor
512KB of memory
Floating Point Microcode
Extended Instruction Set (EIS)
Memory Management Unit
Cache Memory
50 Cycle System Clock

Memory parity support
FPU support

Device    Status          CSR     Vector(s)
------    ------          ---     ---------
  SL      Installed      000000   000
  FW      Not installed  177170   264
  LD      131520         000000   000
  DY      Not installed  177170   264
  VM      132472         177572   250
  SP      Installed      000000   110
  XL      Installed      176500   300 304
  DL      Not installed  174400   160
  DU      Resident       172150   154
  LS      Installed      176510   310 314
  NL      Installed      000000   000

TT  (Resident) = LP
DU  (Resident)
    DU0 = SY
MQ  (Resident)
LD  (Loaded)
    LD0 = DK
SL
VM  (Loaded)
SP
XL
LS
NL
5 free slots

Job  Name  Console Level State    Low    High  Impure
---  ----  ------- ----- -----    ---    ----  ------
 0   RESORC   0      0   Run     000000 131510 134576

No multi-terminal support

Address   Module    Words
-------   ------    -----
160000    IOPAGE     4096.
155636    DU          561.
133220    RMON       4743.
132464    VM          174.
131512    LD          245.
001000    ..BG..    22693.

LD0 is  DU0:USER.DSK[50068.]  = DK
LD4 is  DU0:USER.DSK[50068.]
LD7 is  DU0:PW.DSK[3000.]

I got somehow a M70>-Prompt (after a @-Prompt) and booted it with DU<Return>.

Can I make somehow a bootable floppy-backup?
Is it supported by V7 or another UNIX?
How big is the harddisk?
What device/size is the floppy? DK?
Is it possible to read/write these floppies with a PC?
Is it possible to make UNIX-boot/install-floppies with an emulator
and install with the UNIX on this PDP-11?
What did I forget to ask?

Thanks

endergone Zwiebeltuete

--
insanity inside

Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 1996 15:40:01 -0800
From: "Robert Armstrong" <rarmstro@telesensory.com>
To: wkt at csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject:   PUPS Membership
Sender: wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au

Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Armstrong, Robert
To:  'wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au'
Date: 1996-12-09 15:36
Message ID: C28C0656D851D0119D8400A02450680C
Conversation ID: PUPS Membership

Warren,

  I have a Micro-PDP 11/73 running 2_11BSD now, and a running 11/23+
system that I'd like to find a Unix for (currently it's running RT).  The
11/23 lacks I&D space and therefore is unable to run 2_11BSD, and also
it's severely handicapped because its largest disk a RL02.

  I also have a several other DEC non-Unix systems including a 11/730, a
PDP-8/A, and too many VAXstation-2000s and 3100s to count.  All run
perfectly except the -8, which is my current project.

  I have a some UNIBUS and QBUS spares, and even a few OMNIBUS parts, and
I'm always willing to trade with other collectors.

  I'm afraid I know very little about Unix, but I do have some experience
with DEC hardware and would be happy to try and help out in this area.

  Please do not reply to this account - my home email address is

 bob at poco-adagio.santa-clara.ca.us

Thanks,
Bob Armstrong

From: wkt@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: PDP-11 (fwd)
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:41:28 +1100 (EST)

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 20:18:56 +0100 (CET)
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
To: info-pdp11 at transarc.com
Subject: Weird TS05 gotcha
ReSent-Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:20:08 +0100 (CET)
ReSent-From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih at Hamartun.Priv.NO>
ReSent-To: PDP Unix Preservation Society <oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
ReSent-Message-ID: <970116202008.10317D at barsoom.Hamartun.Priv.NO>

I just wanted to share an interesting experience that might save
someone else some time if the occasion should arise...

I've got a Q4 cabinet with two BA23s in the middle, an RA81 below them
and a TS05 tape station on top.  It's had a KA630 (a MicroVAX II, that
is) CPU running VAX/VMS, Ultrix and 4.3BSD-Reno before, and the TS05
has always behaved perfectly.  Just recently, I reconfigured this box
with a MicroPDP-11/73 (a great little system: two RD54s, twin RX50s,
TK50 and TS05, DELQA, DHQ11 and the RA81), and was dismayed to find
that my trusty old 9 track tape station no longer worked!

After several, unsuccessful attempts to get some (too) old diagnostic
software to work, I put the KA630 back in, and ran MDM, the MicroVAX
Diagnostic Monitor.  The tape station checked out perfectly.  Back in
went the 11/73 -- sure enough, it didn't work.  Experimenting showed
that I could fsf, bsf rewind and stat the tape station with mt all I
wanted, but I couldn't read nor write.  The controller always gave an
illegal address error, which the manual says is what happens when you
use it in a 22 bit qbus while it's configured for 18 bit operation.

Of course, that couldn't be for real, right?  I mean, the KA630 is a
22 bit system, and it worked on that with several operating systems!
Still, it doesn't hurt to check, so I pulled the controller.  Yup, it
was set to 18 bit mode.  Flipped it to 22, turned on buffering at the
same time -- and I now have a fast, dependable 1600bpi 9 track again!

If anyone can explain how this thing worked in the first place, I'd
appreciate it!  (Oh, and if anyone has some hints for this youngster
about the proper care and feeding of my TS05 as the years go by, that
would come in very handy as well!)  (Heck, while I'm asking all this,
an RK05 with qbus controller and a few packs would be great, too, and
would go real well with this old /23 I've got sitting here!)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"

From: wkt@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: 7th Edition on a real PDP-11/23+ (fwd)
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:01:23 +1100 (EST)
Cc: wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)

> 	From: "Bob Armstrong" <bob at poco-adagio.santa-clara.ca.us>
> 	Subject: 7th Edition on a real PDP-11/23+
> 	To: wkt at csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au
>
> Warren,
>
>   I'm not sure if the PUPS members would be interested, but I have
> successfully been able to run the 7th Edition RL02 image that accompanies
> Bob Supniks emulator on a real PDP-11/23+.Jim Carpenter (jimc at zach1.tiac.net)
> deserves a special thanks for helping me work out a few problems in bringing
> it up.  If any other members of the group are interested in doing the same I
> would be happy to help.

Bob, I'm cc'ing this reply to the mailing list so that the others will
get a copy.

>   As I understand the terms of the SCO license, this should be perfectly
> legal so long as it is for non-commerical purposes.  There doesn't seem
> to be anything in the license that limits me to using an emulator.
> Please correct me if you disagree.

As far as I can see, you can do anything with the disk image as long as
it's non-commercial. So I'm sure that it's perfectly legal.

>   Performance is suprisingly good, especially considering that the 11/23+
> was no speed demon even by old PDP standards.  And it's amazing - the
> whole Unix system fits on a 10Mb pack with about 3.5Mb free!
>
>   The contents of this disk image seem to be pretty limited, and I'm
> interested in knowing if any of the missing components (e.g. man pages!!)
> are available anywhere.  I'm also interested to know if there are any V7
> kernels available with more devices installed.  I've got a lot of hardware
> on my 11/23, especially a TSV05 but also a RX02 and TU58, that this system
> can't use.
> Bob Armstrong

Bob, firstly if you can write down the details of how you got the
image installed & running on the 23+, and email it to the mailing list
(oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au), that'd be great, as I archive the mail.

Secondly, I'm unsure of the copyright/legal status of the man pages.
It would be good if they could be released publically. I might ask Bob
Supnik if he has any ideas.

Finally, many of the members of the PUPS mail list are covered by
source code licenses, so if you can tell us what device you require,
I'm sure someone can build a kernel for you. I wonder if it's legal to
ship a kernel which has device drivers not in Bob Supnik's disk image?!
Hope so!

Cheers,
	Warren

From: wkt@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Subject: Re: 7th Edition on a real PDP-11/23+ (fwd)
To: Neil.Johnson at usask.ca (Neil Johnson)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:00:04 +1100 (EST)
Cc: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)

In atricle by Neil Johnson:
> Unfortunately I cannot justify calling sources for man pages "object code".
> Redistributing the man pages may be in the spirit of SCO's agreement, but
> is not allowed in the agreement. I do not think they should be added to the
> distribution without SCO's permission.
>
> Finally a disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is just my understanding of
> the licence, for which I give SCO my thanks.
> Neil

THat was my impression too, Neil. I was being hopeful (as always). We do
need to talk with SCO (via Bob Supnik?) to ensure we have SCO's permission
first.

Thanks!

	Warren

From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
To: wkt at csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 01:49:20 +0100 (MET)
Cc: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

> > Warren,
> >
> >   I'm not sure if the PUPS members would be interested, but I have
> > successfully been able to run the 7th Edition RL02 image that accompanies
> > Bob Supniks emulator on a real PDP-11/23+.Jim Carpenter (jimc at zach1.tiac.net)
> > deserves a special thanks for helping me work out a few problems in bringing
> > it up.  If any other members of the group are interested in doing the same I
> > would be happy to help.
>
> Bob, I'm cc'ing this reply to the mailing list so that the others will
> get a copy.

Great ! Finally gotta dig out that old RL02 drive ... How did you manage
to get the image onto the RL02 ?

> Secondly, I'm unsure of the copyright/legal status of the man pages.
> It would be good if they could be released publically. I might ask Bob
> Supnik if he has any ideas.

Some time ago, the 7th Edition man pages were available on
http://plan9.att.com. This machine currently seems to be down, so I can't
verify if the man pages are still there.

regards,
	Michael Engel	(engel at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 21:20:45 PST
From: "Bob Armstrong" <bob@poco-adagio.santa-clara.ca.us>
Subject: RE: 7th Edition on a real PDP-11/23+
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

>Bob, firstly if you can write down the details of how you got the
>image installed & running on the 23+, and email it to the mailing list
>(oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au), that'd be great, as I archive the mail.

  It was actually quite simple.  Bob Supnik's RL02 file is simply a byte
for byte dump of a pack.  That is, it's just sector 0, head 0, cylinder 0
followed by sector 1, head 0, cylinder 0, ... then all the sectors of
head 1, cylinder 0, then cylinder 1, etc.  There are no overhead bytes
in the file an no interleaving is used.  RL02s have 40 sectors of 256
bytes each per track, two heads, and 512 cylinders for a total 10240K bytes
per disk (which happens to be exactly the size of Bob's RL02 file :-)

  You want to be careful about bad sectors, since RL02s do bad block
replacement at the device driver level.  If your pack has any bad sectors
that aren't at exactly the same spot as bad sectors on Bob's original
pack (not very likely!), then this isn't going to work.  Fortunately
error free RL02 packs are relatively easy to come by.

  Anyway, since the only other RL02 that I have access to is on a VMS
system, I had to write a little program for VMS to load the disk using
physical I/O.  I'd be happy to make this program available if anyone
wants it.

  Once you have the pack loaded, you can just mount it on a 11/23 and use
the RL02 hardware boostrap.  The Unix boot will start and print a "@" for
a prompt.  Reply by entering "unix" and carriage return, and you'll see
"mem=205376" followed by "SINGLE USER LOGIN:".  Enter ^Z and Unix will
start timesharing, then you can login in using root with the password "pdp".

  I had two problems in this process.  First, I didn't know about the
Unix bootstrap program (I'm afraid I've never used Bob's emulator!), and
when I saw the "@" I just blindly assumed I'd been dumped back into ODT.
Fortunately Jim Carpenter was kind enough to educate me about this.

  Second, Unix would hang up as soon as I started timesharing.  This
turned out to be because my LTC in the 11/23 wasn't working, which doesn't
bother RT11 at all but it does hang Unix.  After I repaired the hardware
everything ran fine.

  If someone has a PDP-11 with a RL02 drive and no way to load V7 on a
pack, I am willing to do it if you send me a blank RL02.  I believe the
SCO license allows this so long as:

	1) I don't charge for the service
	2) You certify that it is for non-commerical use
	3) I include a printed copy of SCO's license

Note that this kernel supports only RL02 drives, so unless your -11
has a RL02 drive this system won't work.  RD5x and RA8x drives won't do.
A similar procedure would probably work with the RK05 images, but I
don't have the hardware to try.

>Finally, many of the members of the PUPS mail list are covered by
>source code licenses, so if you can tell us what device you require,

  I have a 11/23, DLV11J (4 lines), RL02/RLV11, TU58 (on one of the
DLV11 ports), RX02/RXV21, and a TSV05 9-track tape.  The TSV05 is
TS11 compatible, and I'd especially like to have support for it.
Bob's kernel supports MASSBUS tapes, but not a TS11.

>I'm sure someone can build a kernel for you. I wonder if it's legal to
>ship a kernel which has device drivers not in Bob Supnik's disk image?!

  SCO's license seems to cover all PDP-11 binaries for 7th Edition Unix,
and it doesn't seem to say anything about their origin.  Of course,
I'm not a lawyer either.

Bob

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:38:53 +1100 (EST)
From: Warren Toomey <wkt@cs.adfa.oz.au>
To: moffen at ix.netcom.com
Cc: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Re: PDP-11

	[Mike is taking over a sysadmin job for a UNIX PDP-11.
	 He hasn't seen one before. Can someone help!]

> Thanks for the response. I am told that it's running unix. I start the
> job the end of this week. The person I am replacing will be fired the
> day I start. So, I have never seen their computer room, and will not
> have any passwords or other info. It is critical that I gain control of
> the system and prevent that person from getting into the system. Any
> suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Mike Offenberg
> moffen at ix.netcom.com

Ok, I'd try to chat with the person before they leave! At least to get the
root password.

I am cc'ing this email to a group of PDP-11 Unix users who may be able to
help you out. I'd guess it's a 6th or 7th Edition UNIX, or a 2BSD system.
What you really need to know is:

	+ how to get a root login on the system
	+ how to change the root password
	+ how to reboot the system properly

If the person leaves root logged in on the console, at least you can
type passwd and change the root password. If they haven't, then there
is no easy way of getting a root login to change the password, except
for rebooting the system.

Rebooting depends on what PDP-11 you've got there. If you can find out,
someone here should be able to explain how to boot into single-user mode,
where you have a root prompt and can change the root password and then
go to multi-user mode.

I'll try to get the basic maintenance manuals for these old UNIX systems
put into ASCII and email them to you.

Cheers,
	Warren

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 15:11:09 +1000 (EST)

Hi, this is just a mailout to the PDP-11 Unix Preservation Society mailing
list, as I've just added half a dozen addresses & I thought it would be a
good idea to check that all the old & new addresses are valid. If you want
off, please email me back!

Looks like Bob Supnik's emulators have sparked a bit of interest in these
old systems. Welcome to the new users of PDP-11 Unix!

Cheers,
	Warren	wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: CSR/vector calculator for the archives (fwd)
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:33:19 +1000 (EST)

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: No progress on PDP-11 Unix source licenses, ideas?
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:54:27 +1000 (EST)

Dear PDP-11 Unix people,

I'm emailing you because I haven't done much in the last few months about
encouraging SCO to sell source licenses for PDP-11 UNIX, and I think it's
time we try a new tack.

The person I've been negotiating with a SCO is Dion Johnson, dionj at sco.com.
I pestered him a lot last year and so perhaps I've worn out my welcome with
him. So I'd like to suggest another approach or two.

Perhaps another person interested in PDP-11 UNIX source licenses can try
talking with Dion or other people at SCO? Any volunteers? Steven Schultz?
Bob Supnik? Alternatively, if nobody comes forward, we could all email Dion
expressing our desires for sources licenses for these old UNIX versions.

Looking at the survey I've been conducting at
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/, at least 130 people are interested in
source licenses, and the general consensus is:

	No resale of license is acceptable
	No source redistribution is acceptable
	50/50 split on single-user-only licenses
	No commercial usage is acceptable
	Full source code is preferable

	Main UNIXes to be covered are 5th,6th,7th Edition and 2BSD.
	Cost of license no more than US$200, max.

After reviewing the email from Dion, I'd add another condition which
would make SCO happy:

	Source license adequately protects SCO's intellectual property,
	in their view.

Anyway, please email your suggestions on what we should do to the PUPS
mailing list (oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au) or to me. I think the single
person approach is better than flooding Dion with email. Maybe we can sign
an email petition and deliver that to a number of people at SCO?

Thanks in advance for your input!

	Warren	wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Petition to SCO for licenses
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:24:14 +1000 (EST)

Dear PDP-11 UNIX people,

	The small response to my suggestions about lobbying SCO for source
licenses brought some volunteers for the cause, and a preference for a
single petition to SCO rather than mail-bombing :-) If you didn't respond,
please let me know what you think & if you're willing to help out.

I've written a draft petition, which is attached below, and is also
available (with some hyperlinks) at
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/petition.html

Is there anything in the draft you disagree with, or wish to change?
Please let me know!!

	Warren

The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
Dear Sirs/Madams,

We, the undersigned, are a group of people who are interested in obtaining
source code and binary copies of the versions of UNIX that ran on the PDP-11
range of computers from Digital Equipment Corporation. We would like to
have copies of these versions of UNIX because:

	+ they are of great historical importance, and/or
	+ we personally own PDP-11 computers on which these systems will run.

The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. owns the copyright to these very old versions
of UNIX. We understand and appreciate that SCO wishes to protect their
intellectual property within, and ownership of, these versions of UNIX.
Therefore, we wish to petition SCO to make available source code and binary
licenses of these versions of UNIX so that:

	+ we can legally own source code and binaries for PDP-11 UNIXes, and
	+ SCO's copyright and intellectual property is protected.

We would be happy to purchase and be legally bound by a source code and
binary license for PDP-11 UNIXes that meets SCO's requirements, as long as:

	+ the license covers the entire distributions (source code, binaries
	  and documentation) of the following versions of UNIX:

		- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Edition UNIX
		- 32V UNIX
		- PWB/UNIX
		- those portions of all 2BSD releases which are derived
		  from UNIX source code

	+ we have the right to make changes to the source code of the
	  above versions of UNIX

	+ we have the right to distribute our changes to other people who
	  have signed and agreed to the source code and binary license for
	  PDP-11 UNIXes

	+ we have the right to install UNIX binaries on PDP-11 hardware
	  and PDP-11 emulating software

	+ we have the right to allow other people to use the UNIX binaries
	  on such an installation

Note that the latter is already permitted, given SCO's binary license agreement
for 5th, 6th and 7th Edition UNIX. We would also be happy with the following
conditions imposed in the source code and binary license for PDP-11 UNIXes:

	+ no resale of the license is permitted
	+ source code covered by the license cannot be distributed or
	  disclosed to people not covered by the license
        + no commercial usage of the source code or binaries is permitted
	+ SCO is not required to include copies of any source code, binaries
	  or documentation with the source code and binary license for PDP-11
	  UNIXes

On a recent survey of people interested in such a license (see
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/), over 120 people responded. Most of
the respondents would agree to a license with the conditions and limitations
outlined above, if the cost of such a license was less than US$200.

We urge you to consider

	+ the historical significance of the UNIX operating system,
	+ that the PDP-11 versions of UNIX are essentially obsolete,
	+ that superior UNIX-like operating systems, libraries and
	  applications are freely available in source code form,
	+ that the source code to 6th Edition UNIX is publically available
	  in printed form (Lion's Commentary on 6th Edition UNIX, Peer to
	  Peer Communications, Inc.)

and make personal-use non-disclosure source code and binaries licenses
for PDP-11 UNIXes available at a price which we can afford as individuals.

The UNIX community has played an extremely important role in the development
and success of the UNIX operating system. The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc., as
owners of the UNIX operating system source, would be repaying the UNIX
community in some measure by providing source licenses for these old versions
of UNIX. Although you would not profit greatly from the licenses, you would
earn the respect and appreciation from many people who helped make UNIX what
it is today.

Thank you for your time. Your response to our petition will be appreciated,
and can be sent via Internet e-mail to Warren Toomey wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au.

Sincerely yours,

	The undersigned

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
To: crr at gil.com.au
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:21:15 +1000 (EST)
Cc: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)

In atricle by crr at gil.com.au:
> Hello Warren,
>
> Just a short note to introduce myself, Colin Riddel is my name,
> I have just
> saved from the scrap heap a PDP11 / 34 with 2 RK5 drives
> and about 20 disks.. unfortunately the former owners of the system
> wiped all contents from the disks. I would like to be able to
> get a copy of UNIX for the PDP11, then fully restore the machime
> I would apreciate any information that you can give me on
> obtaining and setting up PDP unix on the beast
>
> I am a member of HUMBUG (home Unix machine Brisbane user group )
> and one of the system administrators at Global Info-Links (an ISP in
> Ipswich Qld)
> Colin Riddel

Hi Colin, I saw you sign the petition, thanks. The problem is how to load the
software onto the box! There are RK05 disk images of UNIX (v6 and v7) at
ftp://minnie.adfa.oz.au/pub/PDP-11-sims/Supnik_2.2d/

But how do we get them into the box? Do you have any boot disks for any OS
(RSX, RT-11)? What about tape drives?

I'll pass this onto our mailing list, maybe some more knowledgeable readers
will be able to answer you. Alternatively, posting this to vmsnet.pdp-11
should get you an answers.

Ciao,
	Warren

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:00:05 +1000 (EST)
From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
To: unixarc at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Subject: Petition SCO for PDP-11 UNIX Source Licenses

Hello,
	You may have received email from me last week asking for ideas about
lobbying SCO to make source licenses for PDP-11 UNIXes available. The feedback
from the email was in favour of creating a petition which we would present to
SCO. I mailed a draft petition to many of you and again got a favourable
response.

Therefore, I've set up a WWW petition for PDP-11 UNIX source licenses at
http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/petition.html.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!!! if you agree with the petition.

PLEASE GET OTHER PEOPLE TO SIGN TOO!!! We need as many signatures as we can
get. Pass the word around to other interested people you know of.

If you filled in the PDP-11 UNIX source code survey on the same WWW server,
your name has been automatically put on the petition, unless you disagreed
with the petition's contents. Please email me if you want your name removed.
You can re-sign the petition to add your Full Name; I'll tidy it up later.

I'd like to get well over 100 names on the petition before I pass it to SCO.
If you have contacts at SCO who we could send the petition, please email me!
If you'd like to be put on a mailing list to be kept informed of the petition's
progress, also email me.

Hopefully, we will get a result from SCO.

Thanks again,

	Warren Toomey	wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: PDP UNIX Src License Petition
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:05:23 +1000 (EST)

Apologies if you've already got word of this; I've lost track of who I have
& haven't emailed. There is a petition to sign to convince SCO to make
Unix source licenses available at

	http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/petition.html

160 signatures so far, about 120 culled from the survey I was running and
40 in the past 48 hours. Please sign if you want SCO to make licenses
available!

Informal feedback from SCO is good; Dion Johnson there thinks it looks
reasonable & he will be our advocate at SCO.

Thanks,
	Warren

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Another Old PDP-11 UNIX Tape
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:38:59 +1000 (EST)

Hi all,
	I've just tracked down another old tape with PDP-11 Unix stuff on it.
It's in the UK.  Anybody there care to chat with George & extract the bits
from the tape so we can put it in the archive?

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: New PDP-11 UNIX Archive Additions
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:36:12 +1000 (EST)

All,
	I've just received a couple of _huge_ tarballs from Keith Bostic
with the following PDP-11 UNIX stuff:

        1BSD
        2.10BSD
        2.79BSD
        2.8BSD
        2.9BSD
        2BSD		First 2BSD tape.
        3BSD		First 3BSD tape.
        pascal.2.0      Pascal distribution
        pascal.2.10     Pascal distribution

        32V
        Documentors WorkBench.
        pdp.archive     ???
        pwb		3 slightly different & incomplete versions
        v6              6th Edition
        v6.compat       ???
        v7              7th Edition
        v7add           The "40 changes" tape.
        v7m             Follow-on release to V7

Due to space considerations (& a lack of time), I haven't been able to
extract anything into the licensed UNIX archive that I run on henry. I'd
also like to try and remove duplicates where possible.

If you're interested in a particular thing from the tarballs, please email
me and I'll extract the relevant sections.

Also: 300+ signatures on the PDP-11 UNIX src license petition. I just sent
a reminder email to SCO to see what they're doing with it.

Cheers,
	Warren

From: rjm@swift.eng.ox.ac.uk (Bob Manners)
Subject: PDP-11/73 UNIX
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:46:40 +0100 (BST)

I have a micro11/73 with RX50 and RD53 drives. Is there a BSD variant
which I can run on the thing?

Regards,
Bob

Bob Manners                       (My REAL address is: rjm at swift.eng.ox.ac.uk)
BOB'S COMPUTER MUSEUM:               http://swift.eng.ox.ac.uk/rjm/museum.html

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Old UNIX ftp archive - access ideas
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:19:52 +1000 (EST)

Dear PDP-11 & old Unix enthusiasts,

Status report of our petition to SCO about UNIX src licenses. I received this
from Dion Johnson last week:

	Warren,

	Thanks for your latest news.  That's great about the signatures.
	Yes, I perused the earlier list and it's really amazing that
	we have such famous support for this.  I am sure it will be
	a great PR victory when we finally get this arranged.

	Our exec VP (Doug Michels) is on your side.  I am annoying our
	legal folks, bless their hearts. :-)  They have a job to do also and
	I want to be sure we are protecting SCO's interests in the code
	in the right ways.

	I expect an answer in a week or so.  I suspect there will be
	further internal iterations here as we craft a license that works
	for all parties.

	So the right answer to publish is:

	"SCO is pleased to entertain this request from so many loyal and
	famous fans of UNIX.  We are looking into how we can provide this
	source code.  No promises at this time, since there are some
	intellectual property issues that must be resolved, but we will
	do what we can."

I'll email when I hear more. It occurred to me that if SCO agree to src
licenses and people buy them, then they will of course want the software.
I already make the stuff available to several people, on the trust that they
have existing src licenses (e.g show me the first 100 lines of v7 nami.c etc.)
At the moment, it's all sitting as .tar.gz files on my desktop box.

If I become the `central repository' for the software, then I'd like to
set up access procedures which ensure that only legitimate users can access
the archive, and that eavesdropping or hacking access to the archive
shouldn't divulge its contents easily.

I'm after comments from you guys, the end users of the archive, as to what
sounds good, ok, bad, annoying and/or plain stupid to you.

Proposal
--------

Make the archive available via FTP:

	- To prevent capture of ftp passwords, I suggest that each license
	  owner has an ftp account, and authentication is done using S/Key.

	  To distribute the S/Key key phrase or a number of S/Key pass
	  phrases to the license owners, I suggest using PGP email.

Keep the archive files encrypted:

	- This will stop hackers who penetrate the archive from getting the
	  plaintext version of the files. I suggest using PGP with a very
	  large key size to encrypt the files. The key won't be kept on the
	  archive machine.

Transmission to license owner - Suggestion A:

	- Transmit the PGP encrypted files `as is' to the license owner
	  via ftp. Shortcoming: every license owner has the same private
	  key required to decrypt the files. A hacker only needs to find
	  one vulnerable license owner to get the key.

Transmission to license owner - Suggestion B:

	- On-the-fly PGP encrypt the files using a key specific to the
	  license owner. Shortcoming: end user must have a personal key
	  plus the common key, and must decrypt everything twice.

Transmission to license owner - Suggestion C:

	- On-the-fly decrypt the archive file, and on-the-fly re-encrypt
	  it using a key specific to the license owner. End user only needs
	  one personal PGP key to decrypt the file. Shortcoming: the key
	  required to decrypt the file back to plaintext must exist on the
	  archive server. Hackers who break-in can thus get plaintext.

	  I think I prefer Suggestion A. For all 3 suggestions above, PGP
	  private keys will be sent to license holders using PGP email.

Anyway, this is an off the cuff set of ideas. I certainly want to keep
my butt from being sued off by SCO :-), and so I need to authenticate users,
keep audit trails of downloads and logins, and take reasonable steps to
prevent non-legitimate users from accessing the licensed material.

I'd really like feedback from you about the proposed scheme for providing
access to this old UNIX software!

Thanks in advance,

	Warren	wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Re: ideas re UNIX licensed distribution
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:02:29 +1000 (EST)

In article by Robert J. Kelley:

> Why not just use SSH: verified licensees could submit keys and
> the archive server would keep them on file.  scp could be used
> to retrieve the files.

I'd still have to encrypt the archive files that are resident on disk.
Also, ssh is more of a `general' login account. scp would allow someone
to retrieve /etc/password :-)

If I could restrict scp access, that'd be an ok alternative.

	Warren

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Re: Old UNIX ftp archive - access ideas
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:33:26 +1000 (EST)

In article by Steven M. Schultz:
> > Make the archive available via FTP:
>
> 	Convenient but the management of "accounts" and S/Key or PGP keys
> 	could be a real logistic nightmare.
>
> 	Have you considered putting the archive on CDrom and shipping that
> 	upon receipt of a copy of the license?  Naturally there would be
> 	a modest fee for the media and shipping.
>
> 	Probably would want a "mirror" shipping office in the US.
>
> 	The reason I asked the "what will most folks want" question earlier
> 	was that perhaps folks only want a handful or a couple pieces.  CDrom
> 	writing is extremely simple (I think FreeBSD makes it harder or more
> 	complex than other systems though) - perhaps folks could, with the
> 	request for a CD specify which parts they want and a "custom" CD
> 	could be created.
>
> 	This approach does have its own set of problems but it does do away
> 	with network snooping, outages and breakins.  The archive could be
> 	offline or encrypted with a key known only to you - if you needed to
> 	make something available you could decrypt a copy and make it available
> 	for a small timewindow.
>
> 	I know I'm planning on creating a few CDs to safeguard the stuff I've
> 	obtained so far - good (and cheap) protection against disk crashes
> 	and unreadable backup tapes.
>
> 	A variation on this scheme would be to master a CD with everything
> 	on it and let SCO send the CD out along with the license when
> 	payment is received.  Hmmmm - I kinda like this the more I think
> 	about it.  Might even get some nice artwork (the BSD 'imp'?) on
> 	the cover.  I'm sure SCO gets a real good rate at the CD pressing
> 	plant so the media cost would be lower than an individual doing it
> 	on a CDwriter.

> 	Perhaps the online/FTP archive could be a backup or secondary
> 	means of distribution - if someone convinces you (or sends a copy
> 	of the license) they have the license but lost the media, etc you
> 	could set up a PGP encrypted account for them.

> 	Cheers.
> 	Steven

Yes, I'd thought about cutting a CD directly from the current archive,
and certainly having someone (SCO, me?) distribute files on CD would
make the administration a lot easier. I guess license holders could
buy `upgrade CDs' if the archive changes.

If SCO come to the src license party, I certainly will ask them about
pressing CDs and distributing them as part of the license sale.

Thanks for the input Steven!

	Warren

From: m@mbsks.franken.de (Matthias Bruestle)
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (oldunix)
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:29:48 +0200 (MET DST)

Mahlzeit

According to Warren Toomey:
> If I become the `central repository' for the software, then I'd like to
> set up access procedures which ensure that only legitimate users can access
> the archive, and that eavesdropping or hacking access to the archive
> shouldn't divulge its contents easily.
Isn't ftp for a $200-programm secure enough? I'm doing beta testing
for a programm, which costs $1100 and they distribute the passwords
for ftp by unencrypted mail. They do that allready for a few releases
and I don't think they had any problems with that.

> Keep the archive files encrypted:
>
> 	- This will stop hackers who penetrate the archive from getting the
> 	  plaintext version of the files. I suggest using PGP with a very
> 	  large key size to encrypt the files. The key won't be kept on the
> 	  archive machine.
I don't think you need a very large key. Everyone, which has the
choice to crack a 512bit key or to pay $200, would choose to pay.

> I'd really like feedback from you about the proposed scheme for providing
> access to this old UNIX software!
I think pgp is to difficult to use for some. You could use a simple
encryption programm like: ftp://isidor.ethz.ch/pub/simpl/safer.V1.1.tar.Z
which should be very portable. The passphrase could be distributed on
the license.

Mahlzeit

endergone Zwiebeltuete

--
insanity inside

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: George's PDP Tape in UK
To: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:22:07 +1000 (EST)
Cc: George.Coulouris at dcs.qmw.ac.uk

Dear PDP-11 UNIXers,

	Just got this back from George Coulouris in the UK. He's got an
old tape with PDP-11 UNIX software on it which he'd like to read:

 * In article by George Coulouris:
 * > Warren,
 * > Thanks for your reply. I'd be happy to liase with anyone who is willing to
 * > have a go at reading the tape.
 * > George
 *

[and later...]

 * Did anybody get back to you about reading that old PDP-11 tape, George??

No, I'm afraid not.

I have been told that there is a 9-track tape drive at another centre in
London, but I haven't pursued it 'cos I was waiting for contact from your
people.

George

-------

Can anybody in the UK or Europe who would be happy to read this old tape for
George & for the PUPS archive please email him! His address is

	George.Coulouris at dcs.qmw.ac.uk

Many thanks in advance,

	Warren	wkt at cs.adfa.oz.au

From: Michael Engel <engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de>
Subject: Re: George's PDP Tape in UK
To: wkt at henry.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:39:42 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: oldunix at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au, George.Coulouris at dcs.qmw.ac.uk

Hi,

it seems my mail didn`t come through last time ...

> 	Just got this back from George Coulouris in the UK. He's got an
> old tape with PDP-11 UNIX software on it which he'd like to read:
>
>  * In article by George Coulouris:
>  * > Warren,
>  * > Thanks for your reply. I'd be happy to liase with anyone who is willing to
>  * > have a go at reading the tape.
>  * > George
>
> [and later...]
>
>  * Did anybody get back to you about reading that old PDP-11 tape, George??
>
> No, I'm afraid not.
>
> I have been told that there is a 9-track tape drive at another centre in
> London, but I haven't pursued it 'cos I was waiting for contact from your
> people.

We have a TU81+ 9 track tape connected to a VMS Alpha here. So, if you send
me the tape, I will try to read it. Worked perfectly some months ago for a
10 yr. old tape from a DECsystem 10 ...

regards,
	Michael Engel	(engel at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)

only message in thread, other threads:[~1996-11-08  0:38 UTC | newest]