The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] UNIX or unix
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 13:05:39 -0800	[thread overview]

I just finished Brian Kernighan's book (excellent!) and he addresses
this in section 7.6. (Yes, he wrote the book in troff.)

He prefers "Unix" and wrote it that way except for this section. He says
"Bell Labs' legal guardians decided that the name Unix was a valuable
trademark that had to be protected..." Legal mostly required it to be
used as an adjective "The UNIX TM operating system", and how the ms
macros produced a small caps "UNIX" (and a footnote on the first
reference). He's clear that the 1127 folks hated the requirements from
legal.

It is true that the file which contains the kernel was /unix, or /vmunix
for Berkeley Unix, but that's the name of the file, not the proper name
of the operating system for English prose.  By convention, virtually all
Unix files were in lower case.

     Mary Ann