The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] v6on286
@ 2003-07-08 16:08 Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2003-07-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did read it.  (Hence, my knowledge to use BC3) :)

I was aware of the / bug and didn't even make it that far.  I was
hoping (still am) that someone did build it and make it that far.

-uso.

kirei-na pinku-na E-MAIL-saito
Get your own Web-based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com

* [TUHS] v6on286
@ 2003-08-11 18:38 JStevens
From: JStevens @ 2003-08-11 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

FYI the reason why it locks is the 286 multi-tasking is busted.. if you
comment out the iret in ken/slp.c it goes further, but it's busted none the
less...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] v6on286
@ 2003-08-08 22:14 JStevens
From: JStevens @ 2003-08-08 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just downloaded the source, and after much scrounging around I found my
old Borland 3.1 compiler.. I built the un.exe, and it does the same thing..
blank  screen, and off to nowhere... so I started to add some printf's...

Such as this bit in ken\main.c

            craftproc();
            printf("main.c craftproc()\n");
            initdevices();
            printf("main.c initdevices()\n");
            cinit();
            printf("main.c cinit()\n");
            binit();
            printf("main.c binit()\n");

and I modified dmr\cov.c

initvid()
        {
//      if (video==1)
//              (gdt_beg+6)->base_l =0;
        outbyte (VIDCA,VIDCSTART);
        outbyte (VIDCD,0);
        outbyte (VIDCA,VIDCEND);
        outbyte (VIDCD,14);
        outbyte (VIDCA,VIDADDRL);
        outbyte (VIDCD,0);
        outbyte (VIDCA,VIDADDRH);
        outbyte (VIDCD,0);
//      clear_screen(vd_attr);
        cosilence();
        }

so I could see some more.. it seems to initialize ok under virtual PC.. I
think the next thing is to dig for some more info on the 1st task.. My Lyons
book is somewhere as I want to create a dummy task that prints "a", and a
second one that prints "b", so I can test the scheduler and get
"abababababba" or something like that..

Another thing I noticed after trying to build the userland is that crt0.asm
is missing.. I'm too much of a newbie to construct that though.. Anyways
I'll try to get further this weekend either with my Lyons book, or with v6
on simh.

@ 2003-07-09 16:25 Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2003-07-08  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was finally able to download a good copy of v6on286 from minnie...

I have Borland C++ 3.1, the existing version was built with 3.0.
There are no binaries in the v6on286 package for the Unix itself,
AFAICT, but I did get a successful MAKE.

This is the weird thing, and I'm not sure if it's pilot error, the
fact I'm running Windoze, or a glitch in the code.

C:\UNIX>un

Screen goes blank except for a block flashing cursor.  The keyboard
does not respond - not even the lights - indicating that the machine
is either in a PM loop or completely hung.

Has anyone had better luck than me?

Or have I had better luck than everyone else (author excluded)?

Thx.

BTW...I wonder, could some old C compiler be bootstrapped on v6on286
and then V7 ported on it?