The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Legal ramifications putting certain things on my web site?
@ 2002-02-18  5:30 Derrik Walker v2.0
From: Derrik Walker v2.0 @ 2002-02-18  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've started porting some of the old UNIX programs to Mac OS X.  I've
got about 1/2 the games, that should be ok, but I also have other things
like crypt and makekey.  I'd like to make these available in binary
form, but I don't want the men in black knocking  at my door either...

Any thoughts?

On a side note, I simply can not believe how easy it is to compile this
old code under Mac OS X.  for some of it, it's proving easier than
porting Linux code ( if you've only known how long I worked on linux's
fortune, and the old one just compiled no fuss, no problems ).

Also, if your wandering why ... that's easy, because I can.

Thanks.

- Derrik

firebug at apk.net
http://junior.apk.net/~firebug
The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected.
         -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972

* [TUHS] Legal ramifications putting certain things on my web site?
@ 2002-02-18  6:01 ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2002-02-18  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Derrik Walker v2.0" wrote:

> I've started porting some of the old UNIX programs to Mac OS X.  I've
> got about 1/2 the games, that should be ok, but I also have other things
> like crypt and makekey.  I'd like to make these available in binary
> form, but I don't want the men in black knocking  at my door either...
>
> Any thoughts?

Assuming that you are in the US you might want to put some kind of
blanket disclaimer on your web site - something like the one at:

http://gatekeeper.dec.com/hypertext/info/export-controls.html

which essentially says that it is the responsibility of people
downloading stuff from your site to ensure that they comply with
any and all export regulations.

I am not a lawyer and have no idea whether this kind of statement
actually gives you any real protection but obviously someone at
DEC once thought that it did ...

* [TUHS] Legal ramifications putting certain things on my web site?
@ 2002-02-18  9:36 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-02-18  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Derrik Walker v2.0:
> I've started porting some of the old UNIX programs to Mac OS X.  I've
> got about 1/2 the games, that should be ok, but I also have other things
> like crypt and makekey.  I'd like to make these available in binary
> form, but I don't want the men in black knocking  at my door either...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> On a side note, I simply can not believe how easy it is to compile this
> old code under Mac OS X.  for some of it, it's proving easier than
> porting Linux code ( if you've only known how long I worked on linux's
> fortune, and the old one just compiled no fuss, no problems ).
>
> Also, if your wandering why ... that's easy, because I can.
> Thanks.
> - Derrik

Derrick, if it's code from 32V, 7th Edition or earlier, then you are
covered by the new Caldera Ancient UNIX license, and you can release
binaries and/or source. If it's code from any of the BSDs, then you
are covered by a standard BSD license, except for the bits which
Caldera can trace as belonging to them 8-)

Cheers,
	Warren