The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] First machine to run rogue?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 20:17:14 -0700	[thread overview]

As I recall, Rogue began to appear in late 1980 or early 81 at Berkeley.
I primarily remember it on the Vax. But I thought Toy et al originally
wrote it at UCSB and then it came to UCB. It was written for the Arnold
curses, and served as the first major application to test it out.

I loved that game. Still do, although I rarely find time to play it
anymore. It's widely available on web emulators these days, just search
for "play rogue online". It will likely be the color DOS version, but it
plays roughly the same.

The source was widely available and widely customized. I think I brought
a copy with me to Bell Labs in 1981 where Bob Flandrena eventually
sprouted the "brogue" variant. Some of the monsters could eat into the
walls between rooms, and when there was a line of several chasing you
down a hallway, one or two of them would pull around to pass... Brogue
worked on my new curses, it was in effect part of the test suite.

Eric, of course, is the authority noting that ing70 was "i" and, as I
recall, ingvax was "j".

     Mary Ann