The old saw that I wish I had said "great men stand on the shoulders of greater men, computer scientist like to step on their toes." The problem I have with this sort of accounting is it leaves out where different groups took these ideas and integrated them. Others that come later loss that history. For instance ip/tcp came from bbn, /proc came from research, job control came from MIT, fsck from CMU etc. Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite. > On Jan 10, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote: > > Berny Goodheart wrote: > >> Here???s the breakdown of SVR4 kernel lineage as I recall it. I am pretty sure this is correct. But I am sure many of you will put me right if I am wrong ;) >> >> From BSD: >> TCP/IP <=== NO, Svr4 uses a STREAMS based TCP/IP stack >> C Shell >> Sockets <=== NO, BSD has sockets in kernel, SVr4 in > userland >> Process groups and job Control >> Some signals >> FFS in UFS guise <=== NO, rather taken from SunOS-4 >> Multi groups/file ownership >> Some system calls >> COFF <=== NO, COFF was from SysV and deprecated in Svr4 >> >> From SunOS: >> vnodes >> VFS >> VM >> mmap >> LWP and kernel threads >> /proc <=== NO, /proc did not exist in SunOS-4 >> Dynamic linking extensions >> NFS >> RPC >> XDR >> >> From SVR3: >> .so libs <=== What should this be? > I am not even sure whether SVr4 included > backwards compatibility for the SVr3 > "installed" shared libraries. > >> revamped signals and trampoline code +++++sigset() was not in SVr2, I believe > it was not available in svr3 as > well and rather invented for > Svr4 >> VFSSW <=== NO, this is from SunOS-4 >> RFS >> STREAMS and TLI <=== SVr3 did not have STREAMS >> IPC (Shared memory, Message queues, semaphores) <=== Already in SunOS-4 > > Jörg > > -- > EMail:joerg at schily.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin > joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/ > URL: http://cdrecord.org/private/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/