The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: lyndon@orthanc.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg)
Subject: [TUHS] History of top
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 18:34:22 -0700	[thread overview]

> On May 28, 2018, at 5:16 PM, Clem cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> I remember  In the early - mid 1970s CMU had a display outside of the computer center and in the terminal room on a ‘large screen display’ connected to the 360/67 system which ran TSS - IBM’s timesharing system - systat ran constantly.

MTS had something similar.  At the U of Alberta, it displayed the HASP batch and print queues on a monitor in the "I/O" room  on the 2nd floor of the General Services Building, where you came to submit card decks and pick up print jobs.  My memory says that was part of the HASP system operator job.

I think there might have been a top-style variant of "$SYSTEMSTATUS <mumble>" that would run on the public 3270 (and AJ510) terminals.  But I would have to fire up Hercules to confirm that.

--lyndon