The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: neozeed@gmail.com (Jason Stevens)
Subject: [TUHS] NetBSD 0.8 built
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:05:21 -0500	[thread overview]

well I think I've flogged this dead horse enough... :)

Basically I've mashed in as much as I could figure out, and got the
majority of a make install (build world?) on this thing to work..  I
still don't know where /usr/bin/install comes from as I couldn't
readily identify the source in NetBSD 0.9 or any of the 386 BSD's...
I'm probably looking in the wrong place or maybe it's just from Net/2?
I didn't spend too long trying to work out stuff like that.

If anyone wants, it's in a Qemu runnable image here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/4BSD%20under%20Windows/v0.4/NetBSD%200.8.zip/download

It is just under 50MB, which I guess isn't bad since it's source and binaries..

I've manually copied over a few things from etc, and it seems that
NetBSD 0.8 still identifies itself as 386BSD.. did anyone run 0.8 and
remember?  The CVS history on /etc/motd seems to have the 0.8 still
reporting as 386BSD which didn't change until 0.9 ...