The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To: Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Tech Sq elevator [ really type-checking ]
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:35:51 -0800	[thread overview]

On Jan 12, 2020, at 3:40 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com> wrote:

> Kevin Bowling writes:
>>
>> I am regularly surprised by how surprising type systems are to
>> computing professionals.
>
> I am currently astonished at this.  Unfortunately, I need to make a hopefully
> minor change to the linux kernel to support something that I want to do in my
> current project.  But, this is my first time looking at the internals which is
> way different that my recollection of UNIX kernels.  It's being enough of an
> adventure that I'm writing up a travelogue of my journey through the code.
> While I swore that I was done writing books this is sure looking like another
> one :-)
>
> So I came across this piece of what I consider to be bad programming that's
> all over the place...
>
> One of my programming style rules is to program in the language in which you're
> programming.  The canonical example of not doing this is the Bourne shell which
> was originally written using macros to redefine C to look like Algol68.
>
> Linux contains several sets of list_for_each_entry() macros that are essentially
> obfuscated for loops that generate inefficient code.  To make things worse, the
> way that they're implemented is by embedding list_head structures into other
> structures.
>
> In the diagram below, the labels above boxes are structure names.  Names inside
> of boxes are structure member names.  super_blocks, s_list, s_mounts, and
> mnt_instance are all list_head structures.  (Trick question, how many lines are
> in this diagram :-) )
>
> +-----------------------------------------+
> |                     super_block         |
> |  +--------------+   +----------+        |
> +->| super_blocks |<->|  s_list  |<- ... -+
>   +--------------+   +----------+
>                      |          |        mount              mount
>                      |   ...    |   +--------------+   +--------------+
>                      |          |   |      ...     |   |      ...     |
>                      +----------+   +--------------+   +--------------+
>                   +->| s_mounts |<->| mnt_instance |<->| mnt_instance |<- ... -+
>                   |  +----------+   +--------------+   +--------------+        |
>                   |                 |      ...     |   |      ...     |        |
>                   |                 +--------------+   +--------------+        |
>                   +------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> The bizarre thing to me is that the list_head structures point to other list_head
> structures that are embedded in other structures.  When one needs to access a
> non list-head member of the structure one has to pass both the structure type and
> the list_head member name to a macro that figures out how to subtract the offset
> of the list_head member of the structure from the address of that list_head to
> get the address of the structure, and then casts that as the structure type so
> that members can be accessed.

There is similar code in FreeBSD kernel. Embedding head and next ptrs reduces
memory allocation and improves cache locality somewhat. Since C doesn't have
generics, they try to gain the same functionality with macros. See

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/sys/queue.h

Not that this is the same as what Linux does (which I haven't dug into) but
I suspect they may have had similar motivation.