The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Jason Stevens <jsteve@superglobalmegacorp.com>
To: Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc: "tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org" <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Happy birthday, 386BSD!
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 06:53:18 +0000	[thread overview]

Getting this to build was such a tremendous effort.  Although last time I revisited my 386BSD 0.0 work even under emulation it ran too fast and had issues.

But it's really a tremendous effort what Bill and Lynne had done, by pushing out not only a running version of Net/2 but a self hosting version of Net/2 for the lowly and utterly common and commodity 386.

Its a shame the BSDSS and later N2SS from CMU (ports of 4.4 / Net/2) to Mach 3.  But that USL vs BSDi/CSRG lawsuit cut short what should have the shot heard around the world moment.

It was shockingly hard to chase down 386BSD  0.0 just as it was to find NetBSD 0.8 and 0.9

Im just sad I was in the dark about BSD at that time, all the Unix people I knew hid behind their RS/6000s and SUN workstations while me and all my peers were all all running Linux.

But there is nothing like the feeling of running make world, or building a custom kernel when compared to just running a binary set.

Since 0.1 is more capable, here is a download for Windows users for it ready to run.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/4BSD%20under%20Windows/v0.4/386BSD-0.1.exe/download

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 1:57 PM +0800, "Dave Horsfall" <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

386BSD was released on this day in 1992, when William and Lynne Jolitz
started the Open Source movement; well, that's what my notes say, and
corrections are welcome (I know that Gilmore likes to take credit for just
about everything).

-- Dave