The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com>
To: Anders Damsgaard <anders@adamsgaard.dk>
Cc: "tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org" <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Remember the ed thread?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 15:26:51 +0000	[thread overview]

From 1984, when I stopped using vi (vee eye), until the early 1990's, when
I could use Sam, I used a slightly hacked version of ed. I added
what the Labs called the "b" command. I had use some other character. Dennis
Ritchie sent me a 8th Edition Unix manual, and I saw they had added almost
the same thing and called the command by the second letter. Vi called
it the last letter, "z."

I've never found ed slows me down. Some things I would have used awk/sed
for that I now use Sam's command window for, but that's a bad thing. I still
use ed a lot along side Sam.