The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: toby@smartgames.ca (Toby Thain)
Subject: [TUHS] [pups]  gcc-3.4.6 and old unix
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:06:13 -0400	[thread overview]

On 24-Apr-06, at 9:05 AM, Wesley Parish wrote:

> Quoting Andrzej Popielewicz <vasco at icpnet.pl>:
>
>> Wesley Parish napisał(a):
>>
>>> djggp relies on a DOS extender to run its 32-bit programs in a 16-
>>> bit
>>> operating environment on a 32-bit machine. go32 is Delorie's own DOS
>> extender
>>> - OpenWatcom offers at least two other DOS extenders to pull the
>>> same
>> kind of
>>> trick.
>>>

>> I know that, because I have used djgpp for a quite lot of time.
>>
>> I thought , that Bill wanted to "scale down" gcc compiler to 16 bit
>> environment, and probably djgpp could be a good starting point.
>> I understand , that gcc is not "directly" portable.But because gcc
>> can
>> create pdp code in cross compile environment, perhaps it is not
>> impossible .
>
> In that case, all I can suggest is that the gcc source files are
> cross-compiled to pdp11, and error messages noted.  Then the files get
> rewritten for the pdp11 ... I'm sorry I can't help - I'm neither a
> gcc guru
> nor a pdp11 guru.

It can't be done.

As others point out, the program is many times (100x or more?) too
big -- likely even gcc 1.x is far too big, but gcc {2,3,4}.x are all
meant for large 32-bit systems.

However, cross-compilation can certainly be easily done. I have made
a PDP-11 back-end for lcc[1] (not quite complete but shows that it
can be done), which is an ANSI (c89) compiler[2]. lcc is a much
smaller and simpler compiler than gcc, but its executables are still
massively outsize for PDP-11 systems.

--Toby

[1] http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/info/lcc-pdp11.html
[2] http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/