The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Bakul Shah <bakul@iitbombay.org>
To: Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Is it time to resurrect the original dsw (delete with switches)?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 20:36:37 -0700	[thread overview]

Chances are your disk has a URE 1 in 10^14 bits ("enterprise" disks
may have a URE of 1 in 10^15). 10^14 bit is about 12.5TB. For 16TB
disks you should use at least mirroring, provided some day you'd want
to fill up the disk. And a machine with ECC RAM (& trust but verify!).
I am no fan of btrfs but these are the things I'd consider for any FS.
Even if you have done all this, consider the fact that disk mortality
has a bathtub curve.

I use FreeBSD + ZFS so I'd recommend ZFS (on Linux).

ZFS scrub works in background on an active system. Similarly resilvering
(thought things slow down). On my original zfs filesystem I replaced
all the 4 disks twice. I have been using zfs since 2005 and it has rarely
required any babysitting. I reboot it when upgrading to a new release or
applying kernel patches. "backups" via zfs send/recv of snapshots.

-- Bakul