In my mind there would probably be a strong correlation between engineers making products unnecessarily complicated (whether they want to or not) and end users deciding en masse not to sink the time into learning how to maintain increasingly convoluted and esoteric designs. On the flip-side, a push towards modularity and maintainability would likely result in more folks feeling some confidence they can work on things themselves. Long story short, computers aren't getting more complicated as a *result* of folks turning their nose up at maintenance, that's rather a symptom of the bigger planned obsolescence game. I highly doubt the number of people who would or wouldn't want to be able to fix something even occurs to the corporate overlords, they see dollar signs, not QoL for their customers. - Matt G. ------- Original Message ------- On Thursday, January 19th, 2023 at 2:29 PM, Rich Salz wrote: >> What % of people running Chromebooks, Android or IOS >> do any real programming on it? Even for laptops and >> desktops that % is quite low. Most people run just a >> few apps. > > So what. How many people fix their own cars, TVs, etc.