The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] rm command
@ 2018-04-25 20:22 Eric Blood
From: Eric Blood @ 2018-04-25 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I came across this yesterday:

> Fun fact: according to unsubstantiated UNIX lore, "rm" is NOT short-hand
> for "remove" but rather, it stands for the initials of the developer that wrote
> the original implementation, Robert Morris.

I was curious if there's any truth to it.  I found
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl and was poking around but
couldn't determine when the rm command came about.

Thoughts?

--
Eric Blood
winkywooster at gmail.com

* [TUHS] rm command
@ 2018-04-25 22:17 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-04-25 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: William Corcoran

    > I think it's a bit more interesting to uncover why rm does not remove
    > directories by default thereby obviating the need for rmdir

On early PDP-11 Unixes, 'rm' is an ordinary program, and 'rmdir' is
setuid-root, since it has to do special magic (writing into directory files,
etc). Given that, it made sense to have 'rm' run with the least amount of
privilege needed to do its job.

	Noel

* [TUHS] rm command
@ 2018-04-26  2:19 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-04-26  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Google didn't seem to turn up much on TML

Perhaps because there was no TML. I suspect you mean TMG,
which I implemented from scratch, based on Bob McClure's
original, on both PDP 8 and PDP 11 Unix. Bob Morris and
I used it to make EPL, the "early PL/I" compiler for
Multics.

Off topic, but TMG on the GE 635, usedto buld Multics
got there via quite an Odyssey. Bob McClure created it
for the CDC 1604. He tranliterated it by hand from 1604
assembly language to IBM 7090 and sent the green coding
sheets to me. Debugging it was an unusual exercise: I
knew the logic was right; allI had to do was ferret
out mistranslations. The most prevalant problem was
confusion between CLA (signed load) and CAL (unsigned).
When we decided to do EPL, Clem Pease mechanically
reproduced a 7090 inside a Ge 635, by defining 7090
instructions as macros--sometimes quite hairy, but
they worked.

Doug

* [TUHS] rm command
@ 2018-04-27 16:42 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-04-27 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>

    > I am constantly bemused by the number of "setuid root" commands, when a
    > simple "setgid whatever" will achieve the same task.

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V6/usr/sys/ken/sys4.c

  /*
   * Unlink system call.
   */

  unlink()
  {	...

	if((ip->i_mode&IFMT)==IFDIR && !suser())
		goto out;

For many things, yes. Not in this particular case.

	Noel