The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-09  2:06 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2022-03-09  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> The Documenter's Workbench is sort of the unsung hero
> of Unix.  It is why Unix exists, Unix was done to write patents and
> troff and the Documenter's Workbench was all about that.

My response along the following lines seems to have gone astray.

The prime reason for Unix was the desire of Ken, Dennis, and Joe
Ossanna to have a pleasant environment for software development.
The fig leaf that got the nod from Multics-burned management was
that an early use would be to develop a "stand-alone" word-processing
system for use in typing pools and secretarial offices. Perhaps they
had in mind "dedicated", as distinct from "stand-alone"; that's
what eventuated in various cases, most notably in the legal/patent
department and in the AT&T CEO's office.

Both those systems were targets of opportunity, not foreseen from the
start. When Unix was up and running on the PDP-11, Joe got wind of
the legal department having installed a commercial word processor.
He went to pitch Unix as an alternative and clinched a trial by
promising to make roff able to number lines by tomorrow in order to
fulfill a patent-office requirement that the commercial system did
not support.

Modems were installed so legal-department secretaries could try the
Research machine. They liked it and Joe's superb customer service.
Soon the legal department got a system of their own. Joe went on to
create nroff and troff. Document preparation became a widespread use
of Unix, but no stand-alone word-processing system was ever undertaken.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-09  9:41 ` Jaap Akkerhuis
From: Jaap Akkerhuis @ 2022-03-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

> On Mar 9, 2022, at 3:06, Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> Document preparation became a widespread use
> of Unix, but no stand-alone word-processing system was ever undertaken.

I do seem to remember an attempt by some outfit to sell a standalone
word processors based on troff, but U don't remember the name.  It
wasn't a success and failed very quickly.

	jaap

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-14  0:17     ` Dan Plassche
From: Dan Plassche @ 2022-03-14  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Following-up with a correction and some details about user-facing
changes in Documenter's Workbench.

> 1984 SVR2 containing DWB 2.0 incorporating ditroff (no postscript
>     output yet though)

My mistake.  I was glancing at a late copy of the 3B2 SVR2 source with
DWB 2.0 and should have written 1.0 here.

DWB 1.0 was released in 1984 at the same time as SVR2.  Changes from v7
troff are the inclusion of ditroff as troff, C/A/T troff as otroff, the
mm macros, pic, and sroff.  The sroff command provided a faster
simplified interpreter for line printer output.

> 1987 SVR3 unbundled all troff versions and offered DWB 2+ as
>     an add-on package

DWB 2.0 was released in 1986.  This verison added grap and the mptx
indexing macros while removing otroff and sroff.  Elan eroff for DOS and
sqtroff were based on DWB 2.

DWB 2+ was generally available after 1987 as an optional binary add-on
package at added cost.

SVR4 troff included the postscript output formatter added to the
codebase in mid-1988 (tracked in Research UNIX v9), but not grap.

> 198907 DWB 3.0 changed font tables to ascii from old binary format
>
> 199004 DWB 3.1 retired nroff for monolithic troff binary with -a flag
>     for simplified ascii output (for example, tables are not formatted
>     for true hardcopy output in ascii format)

199202 DWB 3.2 was released with mpm macros for automatic vertical page
justification, 8-bit clean i/o, and picasso visual line drawing
interface using the OPEN LOOK toolkit

199207 DWB 3.3 contained a new version of tbl and the mpm macro package
to customize postscript color and page formats

199311 DWB 3.4 with new spell check, dwb command to guess processor
pipeline, postscript file layout tools, and X11 viewers (xhbt for
eqn/pic/tbl figures and dwbman for hypertext navigation of manpages)

I hope this is a helpful summary.  I've been working on a more detailed
timeline tracking the versions shipped by different UNIX vendors.
Also testing C/A/T troff to postscript converters (Adobe transcript,
Chris Lewis' psroff, and jetroff) to approximate older output in
comparison to the excellent heirloom doctools.

Thanks,

Dan Plassche

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-03-13  5:24 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2022-03-13  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 06:02:44PM -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> I am reading some UNIX text processing books and am interested in the
> lineage of Documenter's Workbench.

Ozan Yigit just gave me a copy of DWB 1.0 to add to the Unix Archive:

https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Documenters_Workbench

   I have a complete distro of dwb. was obtained by me while I was at the
   Dept. of Computer Science at York University to drive our Imagen laser
   printer. The content is simply man pages and sources.

   Nothing else was included in the tape. (no long copyright notice etc).
   Whatever paperwork we had filled to get the tape probably lost in the
   paper clippings of time.

   The files indicate this is "DOCUMENTER'S WORKBENCH 1.0". The file dates
   are from 1986, but I don't recall when we actually requested the tape.

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-10 17:21     ` ozan yigit
From: ozan yigit @ 2022-03-10 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

This is accurate. I was briefly involved with sqtroff, because it was brought to York U
by one of the founders (david slocombe) to publish York's newsletter.
see this for coach house press history. possibly the first (outside bell) unix-based publisher.
https://publishing.sfu.ca/2015/12/coach-house-press-early-digital-period/

... oz

On Mon, Mar 7, 2022, at 11:55 AM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> Interesting. That sounds like a different commercial strain, "SoftQuad
> was started in order to improve automated typesetting at Toronto's
> Coach House Press, and for many years developed an enhanced commercial
> version of the text formatting program troff, developed under license
> from AT&T, called sqtroff. It was sold with a suite of associated
> programs, corresponding to AT&T's Documenter's Workbench, under the
> name SoftQuad Publishing Software (SQPS)."
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 6:28 AM Jaap Akkerhuis <jaapna@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >

> > > I see documentation of 1.0 (i.e
> > > https://archive.org/details/sysv-dwb/page/n5/mode/2up)
> > > I see a copy of 2.0 for 3B2 (i.e.
> > > https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/Documenters_Workbench/)
> > >
> > > From there things get a little less clear, it seems like we jump to
> > > 3.2 with SysVR3.2?
> >
> > The jump might be due to the effect that for quite a while outside
> > AT&T it was marketed by SoftQuad (Toronto).  (See also
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftQuad_Software>).
> >
> >         jaap

ozan s. yigit
http://nextbit.blogspot.com
*to live fully is to wage constant battle against the mundane.* -- guy tal

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-10  2:17       ` Andrew Diller
From: Andrew Diller @ 2022-03-10  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Thanks for the info. I managed to delve into the release notes for this package on IRIX. Seems like IRIX has a really nice tool called strangely enough 'relnotes' which will parse and show the release notes like man pages. Here are some snippets from the DWB:

------------

     Software Option Product        Documenter's
                                      Workbench

       Version                        4.1.3
       Product Code                   SC4-DWB-4.1.3

       System Software Requirements   IRIX 5.3 or later

------------

However they do mention this:

-------------

     1.3  Product_Support

       Silicon Graphics, Inc., provides a comprehensive product
       support maintenance program for its products.

       If you are in North America and would like support for your
       Silicon Graphics-supported products, contact the Technical
       Assistance Center at
       1-800-800-4SGI.

       If you are outside North America, contact the Silicon
       Graphics subsidiary or authorized distributor in your
       country.

---------------

But they may not answer :)

-andy

@ 2022-03-10  1:10   ` Dan Plassche
From: Dan Plassche @ 2022-03-10  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 6:02 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> wrote:

> I see a copy of 2.0 for 3B2 (i.e.
> https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/Documenters_Workbench/)
>
> From there things get a little less clear, it seems like we jump to
> 3.2 with SysVR3.2?
>
> Then there is a 3.3 version https://github.com/n-t-roff/DWB3.3
>
> Can anyone firm this lineage up a bit; and is 4.x an SGI thing or what
> (I extracted the image, the relnotes inside might as well not exist).
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

I'd be interested to pin down the timeline and the major feature changes
for DWB in relation to the other troff variants as well.  Below is a
summary of my understanding from looking at the changelogs and spot
checking the various codebases.  Any additions or corrections would be
appreciated.

1979 v7 C/A/T troff released (rewritten from assembler into C)

1980-81 v7 C/A/T troff pulled into System III internally at Bell Labs
    seemingly without major changes and released in 1982

1982 public domain typesetter independent troff (ditroff or titroff) was
    the last free release as a standalone set of files on request

1983 SVR1 bundled C/A/T troff from 1981

1984 SVR2 containing DWB 2.0 incorporating ditroff (no postscript
    output yet though)

1987 SVR3 unbundled all troff versions and offered DWB 2+ as
    an add-on package

1988 postscript output added to DWB 2+

1989 SVR4 bundled DWB 2+ (Solaris and Unixware) with changes
    through mid-1988

198907 DWB 3.0 changed font tables to ascii from old binary format

199004 DWB 3.1 retired nroff for monolithic troff binary with -a flag
    for simplified ascii output (for example, tables are not formatted
    for true hardcopy output in ascii format)

I think sqtroff from Softquad was primarily sold from 1987-88 and the
main enhancement was more detailed error tracing with an improved
ditroff output language including early laserjet and postscript support.
I've only seen mentions of sqtroff 2.x releases in that timeframe.

I've been looking for the Softquad documentation and software
without much luck; apparently James Clark had a copy of the
Technical Reference manual (ISBN 0-88910-326-7) that he
used to write groff.

Best,

Dan Plassche

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-10  0:44     ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2022-03-10  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Diller; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2022-03-09 22:30   ` Andrew Diller
From: Andrew Diller @ 2022-03-09 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2022-03-07 20:57 ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2022-03-07 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 6:02 PM Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> wrote:

> I am reading some UNIX text processing books and am interested in the
> lineage of Documenter's Workbench.
>
> I see documentation of 1.0 (i.e
> https://archive.org/details/sysv-dwb/page/n5/mode/2up)
> I see a copy of 2.0 for 3B2 (i.e.
> https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/Documenters_Workbench/)
>
> From there things get a little less clear, it seems like we jump to
> 3.2 with SysVR3.2?
>
> Then there is a 3.3 version https://github.com/n-t-roff/DWB3.3
>
> One of my books from the late 80s references 3.4 available as a source
> code purchase independent of UNIX.
>
> Then it appears SGI might have had a 4.x strain?  (i.e.
> https://archive.org/details/sgi_Documenters_Workbench_4.1.3)
>
> Heirloom is derived from OpenSolaris which is derived from?

http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools/troff.pdf has this particular
history, interestingly it seems to be divergent from 2.x and not 3.x.

@ 2022-03-07 16:55   ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2022-03-07 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaap Akkerhuis; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2022-03-07 13:28 ` Jaap Akkerhuis
From: Jaap Akkerhuis @ 2022-03-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> I see documentation of 1.0 (i.e
> https://archive.org/details/sysv-dwb/page/n5/mode/2up)
> I see a copy of 2.0 for 3B2 (i.e.
> https://archives.loomcom.com/3b2/software/Documenters_Workbench/)
>
> From there things get a little less clear, it seems like we jump to
> 3.2 with SysVR3.2?

The jump might be due to the effect that for quite a while outside
AT&T it was marketed by SoftQuad (Toronto).  (See also
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftQuad_Software>).

	jaap

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-07  2:42 ` Larry McVoy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2022-03-07  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I can't help with the history but I give you a thumbs up for trying to
track it down.  The Documenter's Workbench is sort of the unsung hero

--
---

* [TUHS] Documenter's Workbench versions
@ 2022-03-07  1:02 Kevin Bowling
                   ` (3 more replies)