On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:45 AM Warner Losh wrote: > > On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Pierre DAVID wrote: > >> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 06:20:18PM +0100, Richard Tobin wrote: >> >> There is a widespred anecdote that "Plan 9" name comes from the >> >> movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space". >> > >> >Given that the full name is "Plan 9 from Bell Labs" I don't think >> >there's much doubt about it. >> > >> >> Yes, but is there anything besides the name? >> > > Plan 9 is the worst movie ever. And was for many years listed as the worst > movie ever, including the formative years of plan 9. > > A professor(?) at CU once told me, though I don't know if I buy it, that > plan 9 was Unix Plan B at first. There was a description that it was the > worst system ever (except for all the others) in a knod to Churchill > (supposedly based on his comment about Democracy). And from there it was a > quick jump to Plan 9 from Bell Labs as all these themes flowed together in > a mish-mash of creative naming... With a different name, it could break > with Unix in interesting ways... > > I have no clue if this is true, and I'm no longer in contact with the > professor that told me this since it was mid to late 90s, and I'm honestly > having trouble recalling his name. It wasn't a 'big name' like Evi, but I > think it was someone at CU I had a beer with (which means it could have > been a grad student to post-doc as well, it was 25 years ago and beer was > involved). It makes a great story, but I don't know if it's anything more > than that. I put it out there because I know Rob or Ken is likely to > correct something that's this detailed and specific if it's really wrong :) > See also: http://9p.io/wiki/plan9/lfaq/index.html#GENERAL_INFORMATION Royce