* [TUHS] UNIX v0 on a PDP7 - behind the scenes (Living Computers)
@ 2019-11-19 21:08 Royce Williams
From: Royce Williams @ 2019-11-19 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I hadn't seen this yet - apologies if it's not news:

https://livingcomputers.org/Blog/Restoring-UNIX-v0-on-a-PDP-7-A-look-behind-the-sce.aspx

Quoting:

"I recently sat down with Fred Yearian, a former Boeing engineer, and
Jeff Kaylin, an engineer at Living Computers, to talk about their
restoration work on Yerian’s PDP-7 at Living Computers: Museum +
Labs."

[...]

Up until the discovery of Yearian’s machine, LCM+L’s PDP-7 was
believed to be the only operational PDP-7 left in the world. Chuckling
to himself, Yearian recalls hearing this history presented during his
first visit to LCM+L.

 “I walked in the computer museum, and someone said ‘Oh, this is the
only [PDP-7] that’s still working’.

And I said, ‘Well actually, I got one in my basement!’”

[end quote]

Fun story - and worthy work. Nicely done.

--
Royce