Multics had modes per file (https://multicians.org/fjcc4.html) but i don't know about the origins. the simpler approach of owner/group/other is a purely Unix creation and i would bet Ken Thompson is behind it all. i would love to know more. -rodri On Wed, Jul 31, 2019, 12:00 PM Stephan Han. wrote: > Hello Unix enthusiasts. > > I'd like to know who or the group of people behind implementing this > filesystem permission system. > Since we are using this system for nearly 40 years and it addresses all > the aspects of the permission matter without any hustle. > I'm inspired to know who/how came up with this theory? > Also if it derived from somewhere else or If there's an origin story about > this, it would be worth to share. > > Cheers. > Stephan > > -- > No When >