The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Paul Winalski <paul.winalski@gmail.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: Paul Ruizendaal <pnr@planet.nl>, "tuhs@tuhs.org" <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: virtual consoles / Alt-Fx
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:17:13 -0400	[thread overview]

On 3/13/23, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
> one more thing.   In PDP-10 land, I think they would have called
> them 'sessions' but it was a similar idea - although the PC versions since
> they also provided the 'terminal emulation' had to do a bit more.

TOPS-10/20 had the concept of pseudo-terminals (PTYs)--objects in the
OS that appear to be terminals to user mode software (and most of the
kernel as well).  There was a utility called PTYCON (PTY CONtroller)
that would let one manage several login sessions (each on its own
pseudo-terminal) from a single terminal (which could of course itself
be a PTY).

IIRC PTYCON had the ability to split the VT-100 screen so that you
could view more than one PTY session at a time.  Poor man's windows.

-Paul W.