On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 7:20 PM Mary Ann Horton wrote: > I recall attending a TeX lecture by Knuth around 1981. He said he wasn't > satisfied with the character layout from other formatting programs, > which drove him to write TeX. He illustrated in great detail the kerning > and exact placement of the font characters next to each other. I > couldn't tell the difference, but clearly it was very important to him. > He wanted his documents to look perfect. > Yes! That goes to one of my original points. While it is true that CM fonts have a particular look that may be interpreted as "better", there is a lot more to it. Blake McBride