This is all very interesting. However, there is one important point that I am unclear about. Is this a fork in SIMH development or a restructuring of the original SIMH? In other words, is this a continuation of the existing SIMH effort or a fork? Thank you. Blake McBride On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 3:00 PM Clem Cole wrote: > Announcing the Open SIMH project > > SIMH is a framework and family of computer simulators, initiated by Bob > Supnik and continued with contributions (large and small) from many others, > with the primary goal of enabling the preservation of knowledge contained > in, and providing the ability to execute/experience, old/historic software > via simulation of the hardware on which it ran. This goal has been > successfully achieved and has for these years created a diverse community > of users and developers. > > This has mapped to some core operational principles: > > First, preserve the ability to run old/historically significant software. > This means functionally accurate, sometimes bug-compatible, but not > cycle-accurate, simulation. > > Second, make it reasonably easy to add new simulators for other hardware > while leveraging common functions between the simulators. > > Third, exploit the software nature of simulation and make SIMH convenient > for debugging a simulated system, by adding non-historical features to the > environment. > > Fourth, make it convenient for users to explore old system environments, > with as close to historical interfaces, by mapping them to new features > that modern host operating systems provide. > > Fifth, be inclusive of people and new technology. It's serious work, but > it should be fun. > > Previously, we unfortunately never spent the time to codify how we would > deliver on these concepts. Rather, we have relied on an informal use of > traditional free and open-source principles. > > Recently a situation has arisen that compromises some of these principles > and thus the entire status of the project, creating consternation among > many users and contributors. > > For this reason, a number of us have stepped up to create a new > organizational structure, which we call "The Open SIMH Project", to be the > keeper and provide formal governance for the SIMH ecosystem going forward. > While details of the structure and how it operates are likely to be refined > over time, what will not change is our commitment to maintaining SIMH as a > free and open-source project, licensed under an MIT-style license as shown > on the "simh" repository page. > > It is our desire that all of the past users and contributors will come to > recognize that the new organizational structure is in the best interests of > the community at large and that they will join us in it. However, this > iproject as defined, is where we intend to contribute our expertise and > time going forward. At this point, we have in place the following, > although we foresee other resources being added in the future as we > identify the need and execute against them: > > A Github "organization" for the project at https://github.com/open-simh > > A Git repository for the simulators themselves at > https://github.com/open-simh/simh > > The license for the SIMH simulator code base, found in LICENSE.txt in the > top level of the "simh" repository. > > The "SIMH related tools" in https://github.com/open-simh/simtools. This > is also licensed under MIT style or BSD style open source licenses (which > are comparable apart from some minor wording differences). > > A "SIMH Steering Group" -- project maintainers and guides. > > The conventional git style process is used for code contributions, via > pull request to the project repository. The Steering Group members have > approval authority; this list is likely to change and grow over time. > > By formalizing the underlying structure, our operational principles and > guidance can best benefit the community. These are being developed and > formalized, with a plan to publish them soon. > > We have used our best judgment in setting up this structure but are open > to discussion and consideration of other ideas, and to making improvements. > Many of us have been part of different projects and understand that past > mistakes are real. We have tried to learn from these experiences and apply > the collected wisdom appropriately. We desire to hear from the community as > we update and refine the operating structure for the Open SIMH project. > > We hope for your patience and look forward to your support as we work to > refine the organization and be able to provide this wonderful resource for > anyone to use as we continue to evolve the technology provided by the SIMH > system. > > The SIMH Steering Group > Clem Cole > Richard Cornwell > Paul Koning > Timothe Litt > Seth Morabito > Bob Supnik > > > ᐧ > ᐧ > ᐧ >