On a brute-forcier note, when I was doing a lot more troff, I wrote a command that ran input through *ALL* the preprocessors I might need. Even on 70's processors, it was fast enough, and msde my life a tiny bit better. -- jpl On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:57 AM William Cheswick wrote: > This proposal reminds me of Paul Glick’s lp command. It took whatever > file you gave it, and processed > it as necessary for whatever printer you chose. It was very useful, > simple AI. > > > On Feb 22, 2021, at 10:49 AM, John P. Linderman > wrote: > > > > I can imagine a simple perl (or python or whatever) script that would > run through groff input, determine which preprocessors are actually needed, > and set up a pipeline to run through (only) the needed preprocessors in the > proper order. I wouldn't have to tell groff what preprocessors I think are > needed, and groff wouldn't have to change (although my script would) when > another preprocessor comes into existence. Modern processors are fast > enough, and groff input small enough, that the "extra" pass wouldn't be > burdensome. And it would take the burden off me to remember exactly which > preprocessors are essential. -- jpl > >