The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: "John P. Linderman" <jpl.jpl@gmail.com>
To: "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Quotas - did anyone ever use them?
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 10:48:50 -0400	[thread overview]

We used them in an AT&T Labs research environment. The intent was less to
prevent users from selfishly grabbing (then semi-precious) disk space but
to prevent accidents from adversely affecting the user community at large.
If you *knew* you were going to need honking amounts of disk, the sysadmins
would raise the quota (probably on a partition dedicated to such
activities).