We used them in an AT&T Labs research environment. The intent was less to prevent users from selfishly grabbing (then semi-precious) disk space but to prevent accidents from adversely affecting the user community at large. If you *knew* you were going to need honking amounts of disk, the sysadmins would raise the quota (probably on a partition dedicated to such activities). On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:40 AM Theodore Ts'o wrote: > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 06:49:05AM -0700, David wrote: > > I think it was BSD 4.1 that added quotas to the disk system, and I > > was just wondering if anyone ever used them, in academia or > > industry. As a user and an admin I never used this and, while I > > thought it was interesting, just figured that the users would sort > > it out amongst themselves. Which they mostly did. > > > > So, anyone ever use this feature? > > Back when MIT Project Athena was using Vax/750's as time sharing > machines (before the advent of the MicroVax II workstations and AFS), > students were assigned to a Vax 750, and were given a quota of I think > a megabyte, at least initially. It could be increased by applying to > the user accounts office. Given that there were roughly 4,000 > undergraduates sharing 5 or 6 Vax/750's, it was somewhat understandable... > > - Ted >