In my first days as a UNIX user (mid 70's), operating at 110 baud, mechanical tabs were much faster than multiple spaces. And with now-laughably small disks, saving space in files was a consideration, too. Neither should matter now, but early training can be difficult to overcome. I find it easier to read code when statements aren't split across multiple lines (and therefore sometimes across pages). So I'm now inclined to favor smaller tab-stops. On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 11:53 AM Will Senn wrote: > OK. So, I've been trying to decide (for the last time, I swear) whether to > use tabs or spaces in my code... I did a quick pulse-check on the state of > argument and it appears to be alive and well in 2021. My question for y'all > is, was there a preference in the very early days or not? I saw an article > talking about the 20 year feud, but that's not my recollection. In 1994, > nobody agreed on this, but I'm sure it predates my entree into the field. > I'm thinking the history of entab and detab are somehow related, but I've > been wrong on these sorts of thoughts before. What say you? > > Will >