On a related (optimization) theme, https://research.swtch.com/hwmm On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 12:58 PM Paul Winalski wrote: > I sent a reply to this message to the TUHS mailing list but gmail may > have rejected it and flagged it as spam. > > Please email me privately to let me know if the message made it to the > list. > > -Paul W.. > > On 7/1/21, scj@yaccman.com wrote: > > I saw this post and it reminded me of a meeting that Dennis and I had > > with Bill Wulf. At one point, Dennis decided to write an optimizer but > > gave up after a week or two because when he had coded the data > > structures he needed he had filled up the PDP-11 memory! It was a very > > strong part of the Unix meme that Unix and C would run on small > > computers since most of the universities couldn't afford bigger ones at > > the time. > > > > When PCC came along and started running on 32-bit machines, I started > > thinking about algorithms for optimization. A problem that I had no > > good solution for could be illustrated by a simple piece of code: > > > > x = *p; > > > > y = *q; > > > > q gets changed > > > > *q = z; > > > > The question is, do I need to reload x now because q might have been > > changed to point to the same place as p? At around this time, Al Aho > > was invited to go to CMU and give a talk, and he invited me to come with > > him. We spent about an hour and a half one-on-one with Bill Wulf -- I > > seem to remember a lot of mutual respect going on. But when I asked him > > about my problem, he really didn't have much to say about it. I finally > > got him to agree that his compiler had a bug. But he said there was a > > flag they could set on the compiler that would turn of optimization and > > if your program had mysterious bugs, you should use the flag. > > > > I recall that Al, always in search of better algorithms, was a bit > > disappointed -- I was a bit more pragmatic about it. On the whole, it > > was a good meeting, and the "Engineering ... Compiler" book was one of > > my favorites when it came out. > > > > Steve >