The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] whereis command
@ 2022-04-24 15:24 ron minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2022-04-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

can someone point me at the earliest version of whereis? I first saw
it in 4.1, but maybe it came sooner. Also, if you've got a link to man
pages, thanks in advance.

I'm trying but failing to find it. My daughter says I suck at web
search, which, given where I work, is a bid sad :-)

* Re: [TUHS] whereis command
@ 2022-04-24 15:48 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2022-04-24 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, rminnich

ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> can someone point me at the earliest version of whereis? I first saw
> it in 4.1, but maybe it came sooner. Also, if you've got a link to man
> pages, thanks in advance.
>
> I'm trying but failing to find it. My daughter says I suck at web
> search, which, given where I work, is a bid sad :-)

Looks like 2.79 BSD. From the TUHS archives:

$ tar -tzvf 2.79bsd.tar.gz | grep /whereis
-rwxr-xr-x 0/0            4412 1979-04-21 06:34 bin.v6/ucb/whereis
-rw-r--r-- 0/0            1692 1981-01-13 17:37 man/whereis.u
-rw-r--r-- 0/0            4519 1981-01-13 17:37 src/whereis.c
-rw-r--r-- 0/0            3851 1979-04-19 07:04 upgrade/src/whereis.c

Hope this helps.

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] whereis command
@ 2022-04-24 15:59   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2022-04-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aharon Robbins; +Cc: TUHS main list

Thanks.

I did find a newer-ish version and I always get a kick out of stuff like this:

free_dirlist(&ls, ALL_DIRS);

right before the call to exit ... an inappropriate response to an
inappropriate warning, I suppose

I once had an intern ask me "but if you don't free memory before the
program exits, then it can never get used again, right?" :-)

(and yes, I know, in the paleo era, that was in fact true)

I'll go try to find that archive ...

ron

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 8:48 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:

> ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > can someone point me at the earliest version of whereis? I first saw
> > it in 4.1, but maybe it came sooner. Also, if you've got a link to man
> > pages, thanks in advance.
> >
> > I'm trying but failing to find it. My daughter says I suck at web
> > search, which, given where I work, is a bid sad :-)
>
> Looks like 2.79 BSD. From the TUHS archives:
>
> $ tar -tzvf 2.79bsd.tar.gz | grep /whereis
> -rwxr-xr-x 0/0            4412 1979-04-21 06:34 bin.v6/ucb/whereis
> -rw-r--r-- 0/0            1692 1981-01-13 17:37 man/whereis.u
> -rw-r--r-- 0/0            4519 1981-01-13 17:37 src/whereis.c
> -rw-r--r-- 0/0            3851 1979-04-19 07:04 upgrade/src/whereis.c
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] whereis command
@ 2022-04-24 16:27 ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2022-04-24 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: TUHS main list

According to the index of documented Unix facilities [1] it first appeared in 2 BSD [2].

[1] https://dspinellis.github.io/unix-history-man/man1.html
[2] https://dspinellis.github.io/manview/?src=https%3A%2F%2Fraw.githubusercontent.com%2Fdspinellis%2Funix-history-repo%2FBSD-2%2Fman%2Fwhereis.u&name=BSD%202%3A%20whereis(1)&link=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdspinellis%2Funix-history-repo%2Fblob%2FBSD-2%2Fman%2Fwhereis.u

@ 2022-04-24 16:31     ` David Barto
From: David Barto @ 2022-04-24 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: TUHS main list

> On Apr 24, 2022, at 8:59 AM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks.
>
> I did find a newer-ish version and I always get a kick out of stuff like this:
>
> free_dirlist(&ls, ALL_DIRS);
>
> right before the call to exit ... an inappropriate response to an
> inappropriate warning, I suppose
>
> I once had an intern ask me "but if you don't free memory before the
> program exits, then it can never get used again, right?" :-)
>
> (and yes, I know, in the paleo era, that was in fact true)
>
> I'll go try to find that archive ...
>
> ron

At $WORK we have a standing rule that all memory must be freed before the program exits.

This is to ensure that the rest of the program doesn’t have any memory leaks. ASAN, UBSAN,
Valgrind and the rest are good and far from perfect for detection of problems.

However making sure to free all memory before exit() does aid them in finding problems early.

	David

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 8:48 AM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
>>
>> ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> can someone point me at the earliest version of whereis? I first saw
>>> it in 4.1, but maybe it came sooner. Also, if you've got a link to man
>>> pages, thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> I'm trying but failing to find it. My daughter says I suck at web
>>> search, which, given where I work, is a bid sad :-)
>>
>> Looks like 2.79 BSD. From the TUHS archives:
>>
>> $ tar -tzvf 2.79bsd.tar.gz | grep /whereis
>> -rwxr-xr-x 0/0            4412 1979-04-21 06:34 bin.v6/ucb/whereis
>> -rw-r--r-- 0/0            1692 1981-01-13 17:37 man/whereis.u
>> -rw-r--r-- 0/0            4519 1981-01-13 17:37 src/whereis.c
>> -rw-r--r-- 0/0            3851 1979-04-19 07:04 upgrade/src/whereis.c
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] whereis command
@ 2022-04-24 16:48 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-04-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: TUHS main list

It was written for the Cory 11/70 IIRC.  It's on my 2BSD tape with a date
of 2/17/80 - which should be on Warren's archives.   If you can't find it
send me email off list and I'll send it to you.

Clem

@ 2022-04-24 16:54   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-04-24 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: TUHS main list

I don't trust my dates for that tape BTW.   I'm pretty sure we got it in
early 79, so I clearly rewrote it at some point if the dates show later --
although it might be a copy from Tektronix - which would match that date.
Again my memory is that 1BSD and 2BSD are all a little different.  They
were written as needed and sent out, although I think they wrote them a few
at a time.  But my tape from CMU is likely to be different from one that
says went to Harvard which was different from what went to Purdue or MIT.

As for when whereis got put into SCCS control, I'm not sure.  Take a peak
at Kirk's archives.

Clem

@ 2022-04-24 17:39     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2022-04-24 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)