The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Armando plate
@ 2022-05-11  0:52 Steve Bourne
From: Steve Bourne @ 2022-05-11  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Armando also responsible for the UNIX "live free or die" plates. I still
have a few.

Steve

* Re: [TUHS] Armando plate
@ 2022-05-11  0:56 ` Kenneth Goodwin
From: Kenneth Goodwin @ 2022-05-11  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Bourne; +Cc: TUHS main list

As I recall, The UNIX plates were the first in the series and distributed
at a USENIX conference AT THE DEC booth The next year, they came out with
the ULTRIX plates.

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 8:54 PM Steve Bourne <srb@acm.org> wrote:

> Armando also responsible for the UNIX "live free or die" plates. I still
> have a few.
>
> Steve

* Re: [TUHS] Armando plate
@ 2022-05-11  1:02   ` Clem Cole
       [not found]     ` <CAAOGWQiJOyCCce_STLrUs4twT_PWcmfsgyKw+oUuHHzSpP2kbQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-05-11  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Goodwin; +Cc: Steve Bourne, TUHS main list

Ultrix plates were much later.  The original Unix plates were there for a
few years.

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 8:58 PM Kenneth Goodwin <kennethgoodwin56@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As I recall, The UNIX plates were the first in the series and distributed
> at a USENIX conference AT THE DEC booth The next year, they came out with
> the ULTRIX plates.
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2022, 8:54 PM Steve Bourne <srb@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Armando also responsible for the UNIX "live free or die" plates. I still
>> have a few.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> --
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* Re: [TUHS] Armando plate
@ 2022-05-11  2:12   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2022-05-11  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Goodwin; +Cc: Steve Bourne, TUHS main list

On Tuesday, 10 May 2022 at 20:56:59 -0400, Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2022, 8:54 PM Steve Bourne <srb@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Armando also responsible for the UNIX "live free or die" plates. I still
>> have a few.
>
> As I recall, The UNIX plates were the first in the series and
> distributed at a USENIX conference AT THE DEC booth The next year,
> they came out with the ULTRIX plates.

FWIW I picked up a UNIX plate at USENIX 2001, possibly one of the
last.  It has the texts "Compaq" and "Tru64" on it.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/photos/Photos.php?dirdate=20040304

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] Armando plate
       [not found]     ` <CAAOGWQiJOyCCce_STLrUs4twT_PWcmfsgyKw+oUuHHzSpP2kbQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-05-11 12:02       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-05-11 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Lyon; +Cc: Steve Bourne, TUHS main list

I did not realize Shannon must have had it first.  Armando had it on his
Nisson and he passed it to John Hall (Maddog) when he moved.   Somewhere I
have a picture of Armando’s car and my then Black Jetta with the MA plate
together.

--

@ 2022-05-11 15:51         ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2022-05-11 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: Steve Bourne, TUHS main list, Tom Lyon

On 5/11/22, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
> I did not realize Shannon must have had it first.  Armando had it on his
> Nisson and he passed it to John Hall (Maddog) when he moved.   Somewhere I
> have a picture of Armando’s car and my then Black Jetta with the MA plate
> together.

I left grad school to join DEC as a software engineer in 1980, working
on software development tools for VAX/VMS.  Back in 1978 I'd interned
at one of the VAX-11/780 beta test sites.  The group I was in was
based at DEC's Mill facility in Maynard MA but was slated to move in a
few months to the new software engineering facility on Spit Brook Road
in Nashua, NH.  So I got an apartment in Nashua and commuted to
Maynard for a while.  When I registered my car I got the VAXVMS vanity
license plate.  When the VMS OS group moved to Nashua from Tewksbury
they wondered who had the VAXVMS plates.

Armando had the New Hampshire UNIX plates on his spiffy red Datsun
(they weren't Nissan yet) sports car.  My car was an old, rusted-out
Datsun B210.  Armando jokingly threatened to park his car next to mine
and photograph UNIX and VAXVMS side-by-side.

-Paul W.

* Re: [TUHS] Armando plate
@ 2022-05-11 16:42           ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-05-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)