On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM John Cowan wrote: > I always used the design principle "Write locally, read over NFS". > This was the basic idea of AFS. Originally, the CMU folks did whole file caching, but by AFS 4.0 time, they had a Locus token manager (think DLM) that scaled really well so partial caching was allowed. It actually made a small disk system possible. What tended to happen, on your first boot, of course, you had to fill /bin and lot of heavily used directories. But what happened is that your system quickly had only the files you really needed on the local disk. - the ones you were writing, and the few you used over and over. FWIW: I know a couple of people that still run it. I ran it until a few years ago when I switched NAS units just for cost reasons.