below... On Fri, Aug 4, 2023 at 1:17 PM Will Senn wrote: > On 8/3/23 23:41, Warner Losh wrote: > > > > The TUHS stuff matches what we have on Kirk's CDs. > > And it looks like one could build a boot tape from what's in sys in the > tarball. It has the usual standalone files that look like V7 files. > > There's usr/man/man8/sysgen.8 > > sysgen \- UNIX system generation from the distribution tape > > I've not tried to grab that tape to see if it has the same bits as in the > archive. > > Warner > > > Hi Warner, > > I would love to be able to recreate the bootable tape(s) from what we have > available (the tarball) and document that process along the way. In the > setup manual, it says: > > The tape contains binary images of the system and all the user level > programs, along with source and > manual sections for them. There are about 4200 UNIX† files altogether. The > first tape file contains boot- > strapping programs. The second tape file is to be put on one filesystem > called the ‘root filesystem’, and > contains essential binaries and enough other files to allow the system to > run. The third tape file has all of > the source and documentation. Altogether the files provided on the tape > occupy approximately 40000 512 > byte blocks > > Taking this apart, it seems like: > > The tape contains binary images of the system and all the user level > programs, along with source and > manual sections for them. There are about 4200 UNIX† files altogether. > > Refers to everything in 3bsd.tar.gz - 4130 files. > > And this: > > The first tape file contains boot-strapping programs. > > Refers to the files in sys: > I think not sys but /stand > boot mkfs restor rp6fmt rpread > > And should have a boot block on it - with the standalone system -- this is right from V7 and I thought 32V but I have forgotten - BTW - this tape file will have a block size of 512 bytes because of how it is used and boot roms will read 512 bytes at time. > And this: > > The second tape file is to be put on one filesystem called the ‘root > filesystem’, and > contains essential binaries and enough other files to allow the system to > run. > > Right - the standalone system is used to create the root FS and the standalone restore to recreate the root [it's 20B or 10240 byte blocked] because by now you have a read device driver in either the standalone system or UNIX itself do blocking factors can be handled. > Refers to everything except /usr/src and /usr/doc. > What worries me a little is V7 had a dump format of /usr at this point - the rootfs did not have enough space for the everything in /usr such as /usr/{bin,lib,share...} and much less doc and src. > While this: > > The third tape file has all of the source and documentation. > > Refers to /usr/src and /usr doc. > That makes sense in that it allows everyone some one to read these two without having to ferret it from a restore/dump format. > > If I'm understanding things, this means I would create three tape images - > one with just the 5 files in sys and that's it, the second with everything > except for /usr/src/ and /usr/doc, and the third with just /usr/src and > /usr/doc. The first tape would have blocksize 512, the other two, 10240. I > could then use any of the plethora of maketape scripts around to put the > tape together. > > In looking at what was done previously, it looks like the root fs was on > the tape as a dump, whereas the usr files were on the tape as a .tar. Why > not just have root and usr as .tar on the tape? > Tar is easier when trying in read mode, particularly if you only one want a couple of files/directors. Dump/restore is fine for a complete FS at a time. Given just the src and doc directories, wanting to read the doc and source from that tape on another system -- say 32V or V7, tar makes it easier. Clem ᐧ