On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Paul Ruizendaal wrote: > > As a result of the recent discussion on this list I’m trying to understand > the timeline of graphical computing on Unix, first of all in my preferred > time slot ’75 -’85. > > When it comes to Bell Labs I’m aware of the following: > > - around 1975 the Labs worked on the Glance-G vector graphics terminal. > This was TSS-516 based with no Unix overlap I think. > - around the same time the Labs seem to have used the 1973 Dec VT11 vector > graphics terminal; at least the surviving LSX Unix source has a driver for > it > - in 1976 there was the Terak 8510; this ran primarily USCD pascal, but it > also ran LSX and/or MX (but maybe only much later) > In the famous picture of Ken and Dennis you see a Tek display connected to the 11/20. Simply during that time there were a number of graphics systems from the DVST (storage tubes) like Tek 4014 to Raster Systems like the GDPs we had at CMU. There really are too many to list. > - then it seems to jump 1981 and to the Blit. > - in 1984 there was MGR that was done at Bellcore > > Outside of the labs (but on Unix), I have: > > - I am not sure what graphics software ran on the SUN-1, but it must have > been something > Again - W was the windowing system for the Sun board, running on the V kernel. It was original envisioned as a very smart terminal to bigger systems. Remember it did not have an MMU to start with. Andy added and MMU and then eventually changed it to a 68010. VLSI Tech was born and eventual became Sun Micro Systems but that was a few years later. I have to believe W as moved to UNIX on the SUN Terminal and that would have been what Chris Kent and folks started with for the microVax - but I do not know for sure. > - Clem just mentioned the 1981 Tektronix Magnolia system > 1979/1980 actually -- Roger and I started that in summer of '79 and he wrote that a year later when we go Tek money. It was originall as 'g-job' we were building for ourselves. Our boss saw what were were doing and Roger got $10K to do a proposal -- that document was the result. I already had the basics of a compiler working by them (well sort of) and the beginning of a Unix port on the test board. Jon Steinhart may be remember some of this as they all visited us in the labs to see what we were doing. - Wikipedia says that X1 was 1984 and X11 was 1987; I’m not sure when it > became Unix centered > - Sun’s NeWS arrived only in 1989, I think? > > Outside of Unix, in the microcomputer world there was a lot of cheap(er) > graphics hardware. Lot’s of stuff at 256 x 192 resolution, but up to 512 x > 512 at the higher end. John Walker writes that the breakout product for > Autodesk was Interact (the precursor to AutoCAD). Initially developed for > S-100 bus systems it quickly moved to the PC. There was a lot of demand for > CAD at a 5K price point that did not exist at a 50K price point. > Not completely true... 1-4K for BW was possible (expensive) but available. I tend to believe that systems like E&S could do that. Many raster systems went to 1K -- again is was about cost. I've forgotten the resolution of the GDP2 but is was much higher -- it used a rather expensive HP display. The price of memory and price of the monitor tneded to dominate. Also the processor was not cheap -- a GDP2 had a dedicated PDP-11/20, but that was also try of things like GT40 and the similar systems of the time. ᐧ