The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] A Quarter Century of Unix ebook
@ 2016-07-07  0:28 Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2016-07-07  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

All, I've been working with Peter Salus (author of A Quarter Century of Unix)
to get the book published as an e-book. However, the current publishers have
been very incommunicative.

Given that the potential readership may be small, Peter has suggested this:

> I think (a) just putting the bits somewhere where they could
> be sucked up would be fine; and (b) let folks make donations
> to TUHS as payment.

However, as with all the Unix stuff, I'm still concerned about copyright
issues. So this is what I'm going to do. You will find a collection of
bits at this URL: http://minnie.tuhs.org/Z3/QCU/qcu.epub

In 24 hours I'll remove the link. After that, you can "do a Lions" on
the bits. I did the scanning, OCR'ing and proofing, so if you spot any
mistakes, let me know.

I'm not really interested in any payment for either the book or TUHS
itself. However, if you do feel generous, my e-mail address is also
my PayPal account.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] A Quarter Century of Unix ebook
@ 2016-07-07  0:46 ` Jesus Cea
From: Jesus Cea @ 2016-07-07  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/07/16 02:28, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I've been working with Peter Salus (author of A Quarter Century of Unix)
> However, as with all the Unix stuff, I'm still concerned about copyright
> issues. So this is what I'm going to do. You will find a collection of
> bits at this URL: http://minnie.tuhs.org/Z3/QCU/qcu.epub

I just have spent 30 seconds perusing the epub and the content and
appearance are great. I only miss the index and the cover :-).

Fantastic work, Warren. Thanks.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/

From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2016-07-07  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a small errata for it that I collected over the years. I will
send this to you maybe end of next week. (Part of my related research in
another history book that I am still working on. Also I worked with the
author to publish in print another one of his books.)

* [TUHS] A Quarter Century of Unix ebook
@ 2016-07-07 13:36 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-07-07 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren (and Peter) -- many thanks.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> All, I've been working with Peter Salus (author of A Quarter Century of
> Unix)
> to get the book published as an e-book. However, the current publishers
> have
> been very incommunicative.
>
> Given that the potential readership may be small, Peter has suggested this:
>
> > I think (a) just putting the bits somewhere where they could
> > be sucked up would be fine; and (b) let folks make donations
> > to TUHS as payment.
>
> However, as with all the Unix stuff, I'm still concerned about copyright
> issues. So this is what I'm going to do. You will find a collection of
> bits at this URL: http://minnie.tuhs.org/Z3/QCU/qcu.epub
>
> In 24 hours I'll remove the link. After that, you can "do a Lions" on
> the bits. I did the scanning, OCR'ing and proofing, so if you spot any
> mistakes, let me know.
>
> I'm not really interested in any payment for either the book or TUHS
> itself. However, if you do feel generous, my e-mail address is also
> my PayPal account.
>
> Cheers, Warren

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] A Quarter Century of Unix ebook
@ 2016-07-07 12:57 ` SPC
From: SPC @ 2016-07-07 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looks great. Thanks for the effort.

Gracias | Regards - Saludos | Greetings | Freundliche Grüße | Salutations
​
--
*Sergio Pedraja*
--

@ 2016-07-07 12:21 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2016-07-07 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Warren, for the (brief) posting of the ePub file for Peter
Salus' fine book, A Quarter Century of Unix.

I have a printed copy of that book on my shelf, and here is a list of
the errata that I found in it when I read it in 2004 that might also
be present in the ePub version:

p. 23, line 7:
	deveoloped -> developed

p. 111, line 5:
	Dave Nowitz we'd do -> Dave Nowitz said we'd do

p. 142, line 7:
	collaboaration -> collaboration

p. 144, line -4 (i.e., 4 from bottom):
	reimplemeted -> reimplemented