Amen On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 9:02 PM Noel Chiappa wrote: > > From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" > > > Having a clean architecture is useful in so far as it makes reduces > > maintenance overhead and improves reliability. > > I would put it differently, hence my aphorism that: "the sign of great > architecture is not how well it does the things it was designed to do, but > how > well it does things you never imagined it would be used for". > > I suppose you could say that reducing maintenance and improving reliability > are examples of the natural consequences of that, but to me those are > limited > special cases of the more general statement. My sense is that systems > decline > over time because of what I call 'system cancer': as they are modified to > do > more and more (new) things, the changes are not usually very cleanly > integrated, and eventually one winds up with a big pile. (Examples of this > abound; I'm sure we can all think of several.) > > Noel > >