s/which had the version of PWB/which had the version of bs(1) from PWB running on 4.xBSD/ ᐧ On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 4:15 PM Clem Cole wrote: > Sure the sources and a man page or two exists. Ken Thompson wrote bas(1) > and bs(1) was Dick Haight - which IIRC correctly, was ~78/79. Haight's > program which would go out as part of System V --- was first distributed > outside of the labs in System III. I would have expected man pages in > either source distribution. I don't have those online to check and I don't > tend to bother with System V as its historically less interesting. > > That said, one thing I do remember is that the primary version of bs from > the PWB family (certainly the one we had at UCB) was a little different > from the version I saw in a couple of the BTL sites later. My >>memory<< > here (which could be flawed) was the CB Unix folks added a few features -- > like a set of plotting function that Whippany picked up etc. I only > remember this because we were working with a number of different places > (from different AT&T labs to IBM, Intel, NS, HP, Tek, etc.) when we > developed the UCB CAD tools. I remember and an incident where one of the > Bell folks we had at UCB had brought some thing with him that relied on the > strange bs dialec -- i.e. did not run on the UCB CAD systems - which had > the version of PWB. It was close, but made calls to some extra stuff (plot > and the like IIRC). > > My suggestion, as always start in the TUHS archives and look there -- that > will be the most complete of what was released. That said, Disk4 of Kirk's > set will have all the stuff we had in /usr/local (like cpio etc..) on the > UCB systems. FWIW: I'm fairly sure the sources and the man pages will be > with Kirk's trove. But I don't believe BSD ever released it, as it was > not part of V7, so you will not find it in a formal BSD distribution tape. > > ᐧ > > On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 11:07 AM KenUnix wrote: > >> Hi. >> >> Was any documentation ever done for the basic interpreter >> that was on System-V? >> >> Things like allowed keywords or special keywords. >> >> Thanks >> Ken >> >> >> -- >> WWL 📚 Okey Dokey OK Boss >> >> >>