Bourne to program, type with Joy. On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 11:23 PM Dave Horsfall wrote: > On Fri, 30 Dec 2022, Larry McVoy wrote: > > > When I was running my engineering team I was strict about Bourne syntax > > and features only. I got pushed on like crazy because "bash has this > > $GOODNESS whhhhhhhy can't we use it". Because we were supporting our > > product on pretty much every unix and if it wasn't HP-UX that had an > > ancient /bin/sh, it was AIX or whoever. > > I've never bothered to learn those Bash thingies, because "expr" does > everything that I need and is available on just about all boxes. > > > Over and over, I won the "straight bourne shell only" battle. So I > > agree, if you want /bin/sh to work, Bourne shell for the win. > > Yep; whoever wrote CSH must've been high on something, as the syntax makes > no sense whatsoever. > > > For a login shell, bash is my shell of choice. It's bloated but I'm > > typing this on a 5 year old Lenova X1 Carbon with 16GB of memory and 4 > > cores and it's fine. It was fine a 133mhz Pentium. > > I do admit to being a bit of a ZSH user... I've never bothered to learn > all its features, but the subset I use gets me through. > > -- Dave > -- Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual