On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:29 AM Dan Cross wrote: > As an aside, I'd always been under the impression that the "AB" in "ABEND" > comes from, "abnormal"? > That was what taught when I was hacking on TSS/360 (before I even saw UNIX). The term was used in the IBM batch system to say your job died or stopped with an abnormal ending (*i.e.* The job returned exit(NONZEROVALUE) to the OS in UNIX terms [or the OS killed it for some reason and forced it to exit in that manner]. As for Richard's question about abort(), no idea. I had heard the term used to kill off an errant process/job/task used in other systems before I ever came to Unix. You'd probably need some like Doug M or Knuth that goes back far enought to help you with history. ᐧ