The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] origin of the name 'glob'
@ 2017-07-07 16:55 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-07-07 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Ron Minnich

    > Why was it called glob? I always wondered.

Something about global expressions.

I recall reading about this somewhere; I tried looking in the man page:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V1/man/man7/glob.7

but it didn't go into any detail. I don't know where I could have seen it,
alas...

	Noel

* [TUHS] origin of the name 'glob'
@ 2017-07-09 14:52 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-07-09 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Doug McIlroy:

  One curious fact is that from day one the word hase been pronounced glob,
  not globe. (By contrast, creat has been variously pronounced cree-at
  and create.)

=====

On the other hand, the UNIX Room pronunciation of `cron' rhymed with
bone, not with spawn.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] origin of the name 'glob'
@ 2017-07-09 12:26 Doug McIlroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-07-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glob was an an accident. When Ken and Dennis wanted to put wildcards
(an anachronistic word--it wasn't used in the Unix lab at the time)
into the shell, there wasn't room, so they came up with the clever hack
of calling another process to do the work.

I have always understood that glob meant global because commands like
	rm *
would be applied to every file in a directory. A relationship to ed's
g command was clear, but not primary in my mind.

One curious fact is that from day one the word hase been pronounced glob,
not globe. (By contrast, creat has been variously pronounced cree-at
and create.)  It is also interesting to speculate on whether there would
be a glob library routine in Linux had glob only been an identifier in
sh.c rather than an entry in /bin.

I believe the simple * was borrowed from somewhere else. If the g command
had been the driving model, glob would probably have had ? and ?*, not
? and *. (It couldn't use ed's . because . was ubiquitous in file names.)

My etymology is somewhat different from Steve's. But I never asked the
originator(s). Steve, did you?

Doug

* [TUHS] origin of the name 'glob'
@ 2017-07-07 16:24 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-07-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why was it called glob? I always wondered.